Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Getting Closer on 2.7 (Read 45334 times)

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Mood: Dead
Zodiac sign: Scorpio
Re: Getting Closer on 2.7
Reply #30 - May 22nd, 2022 at 5:45am

Bill Myers wrote on May 19th, 2022 at 6:07pm:
Thank you pyragony54 for all of the work that you've done over the years to make Yabb better. I understand why you're angry, but to be fair to Dandello, she seems to be in a tough spot when it comes to further developing YaBB.

Even if she had a lot of time to work on YaBB's development, with due respect regarding your work, I don't think it's fair for any of us to expect her to essentially do everything on her own.

I don't see it any differently. But why not talk about it openly? The Yabbforum hasn't worked for a while. You can't tell me that management hasn't noticed, or rather, nobody cares anymore. This more or less gives me the impression that they want to let YaBB die. Why aren't they telling us the truth. I've offered all the help I can. I'm not a programmer, but I make my server available at any time, and my domain "yabbtest.de" Dandello needs a large forum to test whether the conversion can be tested. I tested this over a year ago and the conversion was error-free. However, some bugs from 2.6.12 have also been carried over, caused by the <pre> tag.
http://yabbforumsoftware.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=159561829
Pieszyce reports an error here, which I don't see. In order to be able to understand this, I need admin rights and possibly FTP access. I maintain a few YaBB forums here in Germany. The error does not occur to anyone. So why is it? Outdated Perl modules? I can't say that.

Conclusion: Only if we all stick together can we keep YaBB alive. Mutual motivation is important. Quite frankly, if YaBB's upper management doesn't want to go any further, we can do without them, but only if we stick together.

And why not a pHp forum like SMF now. SMF even has a conversion tool. No wonder, it is also a child of YaBB. It starts with the SQL database. Hackers particularly target these. If I convert my forum, I have a database that exceeds the 64 mb limit by far. If I then have to move the database for some reason, this can only be done with a Docker. Actually no problem. However, if there is only a small error in the database, Docker aborts and you have the ass card in gold. Experienced live with my Coppermine picture gallery. It took me weeks to restore the database. That's why I prefer YaBB to SMF. Flat file is considerably slower, but more secure. Warning: This only reflects my personal experience, it doesn't have to be your experience.

So I ask myself: What secret or political issue is behind YaBB.

if (idea == 'none') {use (manuals) && (Google | | search)}
if ($ answer == 0) {post (question)}

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Mood: Annoyed
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Reply #31 - May 22nd, 2022 at 2:38pm

The 'hidden dark secret' - Jon Baker wasn't young or healthy 5 years ago - and he runs the server YaBBForum is on. He also has the administrative permissions for the SVN. I believe Corey Chapman still owns the domain and is the only one with access to making changes there (changing DNS, etc.)

For myself - two years ago I got hired as a programmer for a game my son and nephew have been working on for years - they hadn't been able to get and keep a competent C#/C++ programmer because those people all looked at a project proposal and whined that it was 'too hard'.

Note: I knew nothing about C# or C++ but I do know how programs work in general and my son's main comment was that one can learn C++ but one doesn't learn the sheer stubbornness that kept me working on a project for years with little feedback. That's innate. (I also think he gets a kick out of telling the previous programmers when they inquire about new work "I hired my mother.")

So YaBB got dropped from my urgent list. There's nothing nefarious. It's just that I can't have two major projects going at the same time and I'm slower (and older) than I used to be.

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Awards: 1
Who Knows
Mood: Blessed
Zodiac sign: Aries
Reply #32 - May 22nd, 2022 at 5:09pm

Dandello wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 2:38pm:
I believe Corey Chapman still owns the domain and is the only one with access to making changes there (changing DNS, etc.)

I just sent a message to Corey to let him know what's going on, so hopefully he'll respond in a timely fashion; maybe even do so himself here in your forum.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #33 - May 22nd, 2022 at 5:22pm

Bill Myers wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 5:09pm:
I believe Corey Chapman still owns the domain and is the only one with access to making changes there (changing DNS, etc.)

I just sent a message to Corey to let him know what's going on, so hopefully he'll respond in a timely fashion; maybe even do so himself here in your forum.

Hi,

Do you have the e-mail addresses of the developers too, then we can put them to work????   Smiley Smiley

Have found some things about Zef Hemel, lives too far away otherwise . . . . But what I read, his start was already bad, bit of Bill Gates figure, I start and let the rest work. So obviously not my type.   https://www.theadminzone.com/threads/interview-with-zef-hemel-founder-of-yabb.10...

But where Dandello has problems, with developers, or rather the lack of it, on my forum I had this, with moderators and Global moderators. Always friction over who was the best.
Eventually chased everyone away, tuned forum tighter and done.

Still, with Yabb, something needs to be done.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Who Knows
Reply #34 - May 22nd, 2022 at 5:22pm

pyragony54 wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 5:45am:
Conclusion: Only if we all stick together can we keep YaBB alive. Mutual motivation is important. Quite frankly, if YaBB's upper management doesn't want to go any further, we can do without them, but only if we stick together.

As I'm sure you well know, there really isn't an "upper management" team, and there hasn't been for many years.

Thankfully, Dandello was gracious enough to take on a leadership role for the YaBB community, and a few people like you have been kind enough to put in your hard work, but the hard reality is that YaBB effectively evolved to the SMF chat forum software many years ago.

Quote:
"Lewis and Fung split off from the YaBB SE team to try a different approach for addressing the YaBB SE efficiency problems, security concerns, and to add new features. Lewis and Fung did a complete rewrite of the code and changed the brand name to Simple Machines Forum (SMF). On September 30, 2003, the first "YaBB SE/SMF" product, SMF 1.0 Beta 1a, was released."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Machines_Forum

Things change, and it's not always easy to accept, but that's just part of life. Tongue

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Who Knows
Reply #35 - May 22nd, 2022 at 5:35pm

Pieszyce wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 5:22pm:
Still, with Yabb, something needs to be done.

Not necessarily. After all, today's YaBB is really SMF. Then again, it would be great if a team of developers would work together to modernize YaBB so that the YaBB name could once again shine as it did when chat forums were being developed.

Whatever happens, all of us with a web presence may want to give thought to contingency plans, i.e., how will our respective online digital footprints be carried on, or perhaps memorialized after we're gone? Or not.

Maybe nothing happens, but that is up to each one of us. That's to say, how many of us have considered this aspect of our lives in our Wills, or in Trusts that we've created?

Food for thought. Wink

IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #36 - May 22nd, 2022 at 5:36pm

Quote:
Things change, and it's not always easy to accept, but that's just part of life.

While growing up, my father taught me, "Things MAY change, but first look carefully to see if it is A. Really necessary and B. Whether it will improve things."

I started the forum in 2004, but by then there was this, something I never saw or read http://yabbse.org/. But what is the point of downloading and installing a forumsofware for which there is no support?

I think Yabb, also because of the hacker protection, is not inferior to anyone/anything else.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Who Knows
Reply #37 - May 22nd, 2022 at 5:40pm

Pieszyce wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 5:36pm:
ink Yabb, also because of the hacker protection, is not inferior to anyone/anything else.

That's not really true any longer. Not even close. Pretty much every well supported, and developed chat forum software today is far superior than YaBB. We're just biased because we've been using it so long.

IP Logged

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #38 - May 23rd, 2022 at 2:58pm

That's a lot of input today.

So YaBB got dropped from my urgent list. There's nothing nefarious. It's just that I can't have two major projects going at the same time and I'm slower (and older) than I used to be.

@ Dandello

I understand your attitude and it's okay too. I too have gotten old. I myself have always lived according to the principle "If I start something, I'll finish it". Now that shouldn't be an accusation.

I have a suggestion: Let's make 2.6.12 bug-free and good. There are only a few bugs that I discovered. 2.7 is a significant improvement, but I can do without it. OK?
Some people here have put a lot of work into 2.7 (translations and such). All for nothing?
I would be happy to set up a forum for you on my server so that you can also test sending e-mails. Of course you can also get FTP data. Feel free to use my server.

I don't want to switch to SMF, I've already mentioned a few reasons. In addition, I would have to change thousands of links in my forum. Not funny.

IP Logged

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #39 - May 24th, 2022 at 2:27am

@ Pieszyce

Do not install 2.7. I downloaded the latest build. The setup doesn't work. The server hangs up. Three attempts, three times the same effect. The utilization a at 100%. Seems to be stuck in an endless loop. Only restarting the server caused the setup to abort.

IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #40 - May 24th, 2022 at 11:27am

Bill Myers wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 5:40pm:
Pieszyce wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 5:36pm:
ink Yabb, also because of the hacker protection, is not inferior to anyone/anything else.

That's not really true any longer. Not even close. Pretty much every well supported, and developed chat forum software today is far superior than YaBB. We're just biased because we've been using it so long.

It was only a remark, because of the fact, that friends of my, did have problems with phpBB en I not, wiht the same IP's.

But I understand you.

IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #41 - May 24th, 2022 at 12:03pm

Quote:
I have a suggestion: Let's make 2.6.12 bug-free and good. There are only a few bugs that I discovered.

And after a repaired 2.6.12, there will be no new version of a YaBB forum at all? Isn't that too big a risk, isn't that putting forum woes a few years ahead?

If I am 2 meters under the ground, others continue with my forum, I work with a team, should they then experience the misery that a Yabb forum due to the impossibility of an upgrade totally blocks and therefore a switch to another is no longer possible??? It's all not so easy.

My problems are:
  • With some Posts, I can't use the Move, Split, and Splice Popup because after I
    set everything up the SUBMIT button is gone.
  • I sometimes run into the fact that I cannot move a board to another category.
    I then create a new board with an ID and copy everything to it and then it works.
    it works
  • My problems with videos as in post http://yabbforumsoftware.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1571940792/5#5
    are still not solved, can "Insert media" only apply to You Tube videos, with the rest it does not work als Dandello knows.
Otherwise 2.6.12 works perfectly for me.

Quote:
@ Pieszyce

Do not install 2.7. I downloaded the latest build. The setup doesn't work. The server hangs up. Three attempts, three times the same effect. The utilization a at 100%. Seems to be stuck in an endless loop. Only restarting the server caused the setup to abort.

I don't understand, Dandello installed this forum and her other 2.7 forums and I'm sure if there were any set up problems she would report it immediately.

But for now I will wait and see, installing the forum is not for me either because I read too fast and then skip instructions, so usually I ask for help.  :Smiley

IP Logged

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #42 - May 24th, 2022 at 1:57pm

Pieszyce wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 11:27am:
It was only a remark, because of the fact, that friends of my, did have problems with phpBB en I not, wiht the same IP's.

But I understand you.

I can't imagine that now. I had installed an SMF before. Same IP as YaBB. I had no problems. I always say to myself that most of the problems are usually 40 cm in front of the screen.

Pieszyce wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 12:03pm:
I don't understand, Dandello installed this forum and her other 2.7 forums and I'm sure if there were any set up problems she would report it immediately.

An older build also worked. Only the newest one in the SVN doesn't work. You and I don't know what build Dandello installed.

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Mood: Annoyed
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Reply #43 - May 24th, 2022 at 2:58pm

Later today I will check what's in the SVN to confirm that it's good.

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Who Knows
Reply #44 - May 24th, 2022 at 3:06pm

Pieszyce wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 11:27am:

Just to be clear, you claim that your remark is based on a fact, but the "fact" that you presented isn't actually true. Just so you know, when opinions are simply based on what others say, or experience, that's known as anecdotal evidence, which can be problematic when it comes to presenting facts.

For instance, I may have thought that YaBB was the best forum software in the world because of my bias for it due to familiarity, and others may think that it's still the best, but that's not actually true. Perhaps it was the best a long time ago, but that's certainly not the case now.

No worries, though. I suspect that this is a matter of a language barrier, i.e., not truly understanding each other even though we think we do. Wink

In any case, the fact remains that other more established forum software is superior to YaBB when it comes to "hacker protection" as you put it, and in many other respects as well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn reddit Twitter Yahoo