Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) HELP!!! Really need advice (Read 2387 times)

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Normp

I Love YaBB!

Zodiac sign: Capricorn
Re: HELP!!! Really need advice
Reply #15 - Oct 10th, 2023 at 3:49am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Thanks Bill.  Those other suggestions sound good but I'll first wait to here back from pyragony54 to make sure I don't mess something up. Once it's all working I'll be very happy  --smile-- Thanks to all trying to get my forum back to operation.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Mood: Dead
Zodiac sign: Scorpio
Reply #16 - Oct 10th, 2023 at 5:29am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
@ Normp

I put the forum in maintenance mode because I saw that some forums are not intended for the public. This was not taken over correctly during the conversion. You have to make these settings yourself because I don't know them. You can then cancel maintenance mode.

if (idea == 'none') {use (manuals) && (Google | | search)}
if ($ answer == 0) {post (question)}

IP Logged

Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #17 - Oct 10th, 2023 at 11:10am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
@ Normp

As you have already noticed, some members appear as ex-members. The problem is that some files, and there are a lot of them, were not converted or could not be converted. They show the date 1/1/1970. This date is of course wrong. I can fix this, but it is very time consuming. So it will take me a while to finish it. However, all of these reply posts then show the same date. I would have to convert everything into the ten-digit code. Hardly possible manually. Maybe someone here knows a program where I can enter the date and that will then calculate the 10-digit time code for me. I've already fixed one section, check it out:

https://www.poemtrain2.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=PPP

IP Logged

I Love YaBB!

Reply #18 - Oct 10th, 2023 at 2:36pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
pyragony54 -- I can't imagine the amount of time you've put into "saving" my forum! I am SOOO appreciative. Is there anything I can do (manually) that can help? Also, can I try the suggestion made to "Recount Membership" & "Rebuild Members History"? Or that is not an option here?

Thanks again.
Norm

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Awards: 1
Who Knows
Mood: Blessed
Zodiac sign: Aries
Reply #19 - Oct 10th, 2023 at 3:50pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
pyragony54 wrote on Oct 10th, 2023 at 11:10am:
As you have already noticed, some members appear as ex-members. The problem is that some files, and there are a lot of them, were not converted or could not be converted. They show the date 1/1/1970.

This may seem silly, I suppose, but could the quick, and easy solution be to change the start date of the forum to 12/31/1969 perhaps? After all, the start date isn't public anyway, right?

I'm just thinking out loud.  Cheesy

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #20 - Oct 10th, 2023 at 6:58pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
@ Bill Myers

The problem is something completely different that I didn't notice. A maximum of 10,000 files can be uploaded using FTP before the server closes. I then switched to ftps, it doesn't work either. But there are over 12,000 files in the forum. I'm trying with sftp now. If that doesn't work either, then it's Bluehost's fault. I can't adjust anything in the power panel either. I have to see now.

This is the reason why the conversion did not work completely and therefore an incorrect date is displayed. The funny thing is that for these posts the TXT file is not on the server, but the post is still shown. It's probably in the cache. I dont have a plan yet.

I don't have this problem on my server.

@ Normp

I'm not doing anything at the moment, I have to solve this problem first. If all else fails, you must contact Bluehost or I will offer you space on my server. It is ultra-modern. However, this is not free.

IP Logged

I Love YaBB!

Reply #21 - Oct 10th, 2023 at 7:30pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
pyragony54 - Regarding: "If all else fails, you must contact Bluehost or I will offer you space on my server. It is ultra-modern. However, this is not free." >>>what is involved financially (can you IM me with details?)

IP Logged

Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Who Knows
Reply #22 - Oct 10th, 2023 at 9:26pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
pyragony54 wrote on Oct 10th, 2023 at 6:58pm:
A maximum of 10,000 files can be uploaded using FTP before the server closes.

Ah, ha! Got it.

More than likely, Bluehost has a file limitation based on various plans even though that isn't made public. But like other similar hosts, that company seems to be easily scalable; up or down either way depending on one's needs. If that's the case, then NormP can check with that company's support to find out.

I lease my own dedicated server that doesn't have file limitations other than space of course. I think I've been with the same hosting company for about 20 years or so (even as they went through different name changes).

About 7 years ago, it finally dawned on me that I really don't need my own server. After all, there are other viable, and more affordable web hosting options that are easily scalable; shared hosting, VPS hosting, cloud hosting, etc. I could even get a server that offers more, and that costs less than what I pay.

As a backup option, back in 2016 I moved a bunch of websites off the server I have to a company that seems similar to Bluehost. The pricing is quite reasonable, the service has always been good, and it even comes with self-installing forums.

As silly as this sounds, the only reason that I still lease that dedicated server is because of a YaBB forum that's on it.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #23 - Oct 11th, 2023 at 2:59am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
@ Normp

100 € + costs for the domains per year. You then have unlimited storage space, SQL database and much, much more. 8 core processor from AMD, Linux Debian, the latest Perl and much more. All-round support is important. Daily backups automatically.
But first I'll wait and see if I can manage it. It seems to work with WinSCP. A few days are not important now.
I'll re-convert again and upload with WinSCP.

What still surprises me is that I find some *.cbt files, but not the corresponding *.txt file. A lot of things have been messed up here. Fixing all of this is a long task.

IP Logged

I Love YaBB!

Reply #24 - Oct 11th, 2023 at 3:28am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
pyragony54 --- How much in US Dollars per year?

IP Logged

Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #25 - Oct 11th, 2023 at 3:36am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Normp wrote on Oct 11th, 2023 at 3:28am:
pyragony54 --- How much in US Dollars per year?

106 $. + Domain

IP Logged

I Love YaBB!

Reply #26 - Oct 11th, 2023 at 3:23pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
pyragony54 - I have sent you a PM with some additional questions about moving  my poetry forum to your server when you're finished resolving the issues you're working on.  Once again, thank so much for your help and advice.

IP Logged

I Love YaBB!

Reply #27 - Oct 11th, 2023 at 3:32pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
pyragony54 - I noticed a few things when I opened my forum and I assume you are in the middle of working on the issues. Just making sure ---
1. The site is not showing it is in "Maintenance Mode" anymore
2. "the forum contains a total of 17114 posts within 2326 topics." I'm assuming you are "re-building " and that's why these numbers are very very low?
3. And I just tried to go in and I could not access the forum "
You are logged in already with this user User ID ---" and next time" / Password mismatch. The User ID you specified does not exist or you entered a wrong password. "
Just checking in...

Norm

IP Logged

Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Who Knows
Reply #28 - Oct 11th, 2023 at 6:20pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
pyragony54 wrote on Oct 11th, 2023 at 2:59am:
It seems to work with WinSCP.

Excellent! WinSCP is the program that I use, which includes using it for regular backups of the YaBB 2.4 forum that I operate. Those backups have come in handy over the years ... makes quick work of restoring zeroed out, or missing membership files, for instance.

pyragony54 wrote on Oct 11th, 2023 at 3:36am:
106 $. + Domain

Great price!  Smiley

IP Logged

I Love YaBB!

Reply #29 - Oct 11th, 2023 at 7:50pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Bill -- for you and any others: I rarely use winscp because I use a fabulous shareware program called "Total Commander." A guy named Ghisler (in Finland, I think) developed and supports it . I have used it  for over 40 years FREE. It was originally called "Windows Commander" but the real Windows folks made him change the name. The program is fabulous with FTP but it  has so many more features and functions (too many to mention here). If you try it, just hit the FTP icon in the upper left hand corner.  Setting up the connection is just like WINscp. All the upgrades the last 40 years have been free also. In your browser, type in total commander Ghisler and it will show you how to link to his site. I don't think there's a Mac version...only PC.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn reddit Twitter Yahoo
HELP!!! Really need advice

Please type the characters exactly as they appear in the image,
without the first 2 and last 2 characters.
The characters must be typed in the same order,
and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Off Topic Comment Insert Spoiler
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 5000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: %
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry