Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) HELP!!! Really need advice (Read 2380 times)

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Normp

I Love YaBB!

Zodiac sign: Capricorn
HELP!!! Really need advice
Sep 6th, 2023 at 8:02pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
I have been a YABB user for over 15 years but never went beyond YABB 2.2.1.  My hosting company (BlueHost) says the problem I am having is probably because I am on an old version (that the DNS etc is okay) the message everyone is getting is "The information you are about to submit is not secure." Since it IS most likely that I have to upgrade my YABB 2, I have NO clue hoe to do it . I am not a programmer and just know how to use the tools within my forum. Can anyone help me upgrade? Over 10 years ago someone on the YABB2 forum did it for me. ???? help??? My site is a poetry forum with about 300 members.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Mood: Dead
Zodiac sign: Scorpio
Re: HELP!!! Really need advice
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2023 at 10:10am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
I can do that. I need FTP access and admin rights in your forum. Don't post this publicly, but via PM.

if (idea == 'none') {use (manuals) && (Google | | search)}
if ($ answer == 0) {post (question)}

IP Logged

I Love YaBB!

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2023 at 11:49pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Thanks so much Dandello --- I sent you information through PM and will await your help.

IP Logged

I Love YaBB!

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 7:39pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Thanks to pyragony54 --- I accidentally responded my thanks to Dandello. Sorry about that.

IP Logged

Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 6:38am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Well, I do not know. I'm currently on your FTP and pulling down all the data because I couldn't log in to the forum. Doesn't work. I discovered that the forum was installed completely incorrectly. You have installed the cgi-bin in the public_html. That will not do. I'm just pulling down all the data. This will take a while. When I'm finished, I'll be in touch.

Update:

Okay, I found two forums. The showcase is totally out of date, but I can add the data to a forum if you want. Otherwise I'll do two forums. Then I found a folder (bad but leave along) under the directory. Here, too, I may be able to transfer the data. Shouldn't really be a problem. Both forums are installed incorrectly and therefore no topics are displayed. Why members are shown is a mystery to me. It shouldn't work either and that's why I can't log in there.
Now you have to tell me how to do it.

2. Update

I can still find files from Wordpress. Do you still have WordPress installed? It's all in the public_html and it doesn't really belong there.
Is there anything else installed in the public_html that doesn't belong to YaBB? I have to delete the directory completely.

Bluehost login details are not working. I need access to the server. FTP is not enough.
Otherwise I cannot do SSL encryption or import a certificate. Your server is then always http and therefore not secured.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2023 at 11:40am by pyragony54 »  

IP Logged

Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2023 at 3:16pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
So, the first forum is on my test server.

https://www.yabbtest.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

You can log in there with your data.

Now I have to see what I can do with the old forum and see if I can convert it into a new one. I will have to create a subdomain for this. Unfortunately, cPanel is still a Bohemian village, but I'll figure it out. We now stay in touch daily. By thinking laterally about the access data, I was able to log in to Bluehost.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2023 at 12:51pm by pyragony54 »  

IP Logged

Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2023 at 4:38am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Now we have the problem. I was able to install the last version of YaBB, but it no longer works correctly on your server. The reason is as follows: The Linux version installed is totally out of date. Unfortunately I can't find out which version was installed on your server. The power panel doesn't do anything in this regard. The Perl modules are also from the last Stone Age at least 2009. It's probably mainly due to the CGI module and that can only be changed with root access and you probably don't have that. Debian 5 is probably still installed on your server. The Perl version is also from 2009, so it's totally outdated, so it fits Debian 5. I can only install an old version of YaBB (as long as I can still download it from SVN), but then security suffers again, because in the old versions The password was not stored encrypted. What do we still have? Net:CheesyNS is also not available on the server and is important for sending encrypted emails. The FTP is also totally insecure (not SFTP) and not verified and probably cannot be verified. In summary: You will no longer have any fun with the server, an old YaBB version will not achieve the security standard that is required today.

Check it out for yourself:
https://www.poemtrain2.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

[url]and compare it with my test forum:

https://www.yabbtest.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl[/url]

Good advice, cancel this server, it's not worth the money.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2023 at 12:51pm by pyragony54 »  

IP Logged

Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 12:54pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Bingo, was able to install YaBB 2.6.12 after playing with the server a bit. The site is now https. NET:CheesyNS I was able to install manually in the modules. The DateTime::TimeZone module is totally outdated and does not harmonize with Country.lng. I can still change that. Please leave it at UTC for the time being. I'll change that. Since I don't have root access, I can't play the latest module on the server. If root access is available, please provide the access data. It probably doesn't exist. You can now make your settings in the admin center. If something doesn't work, please post it here. I do not answer emails that serve YaBB's Technic because they do not serve the general public. As a next step I will try to update and link to the "showcase" forum. To do this, I will install a subforum on the server.

PS: If I'm going to ask for help, then you should show up here in the forum. After all, a troubleshooting should help everyone and not just one person.

Please post any further questions here, I won't answer anything else.

IP Logged

I Love YaBB!

Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 1:29pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Unbelievable! Pyrgony54 I cannot thank you enough for this! I will work on it this coming week but so far all looks perfect. Regarding "As a next step I will try to update and link to the "showcase" forum. To do this, I will install a subforum on the server," there is no need to fix that link. It has been dormant for years and not used by the members.

I am humbled and so grateful for your efforts on all of this.  I'll stay in touch as I progress checking everything out. Please keep handy all the information that you needed from me to resolve this...just in case.

IP Logged

I Love YaBB!

Reply #9 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 3:11pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Pyrogany -- One thing I noticed is that for whatever reason the majority of the "members" are now designated as "EX Members" but they are not? I cannot see them as an Admin under "Members" yet all their posts are visible. Is there a way that YOU can change them all back to "Full Members"??

Note: I didn't want to just add the new "Ex Member" to the member group not knowing what that would do??

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Awards: 1
Who Knows
Mood: Blessed
Zodiac sign: Aries
Reply #10 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 4:40pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Normp wrote on Oct 9th, 2023 at 3:11pm:
One thing I noticed is that for whatever reason the majority of the "members" are now designated as "EX Members" but they are not?

Please excuse the interruption, but I had something similar happen in a YaBB 2.4 forum that I operate. I don't know if my solution will work, but it may be worth a try. It worked for me.

The error that I noticed was that the "Forum Start Date" was incorrect for some reason, which can easily be corrected in the Admin Center.

If my solution doesn't work, you can simply change your "Forum Start Date" to whatever it was before.

Edited:
P.S. As I understand it, your forum start date needs to be before the date of any member registration. I'm guessing that your start date is the same as when Pyrogany54 installed your forum.

P.P.S. The IP address that I normally use has evidently been tagged to shut me out of the forum, which Dandello has fixed once before, and will hopefully fix again. However, in the event that I'm unable to respond going forward, please take that into account, and access my profile to obtain my email address as needed. Sorry for the inconvenience. Stuff happens.  Wink

UPDATE: Ah, ha. Dandello once again fixed my banned membership. Thank you!  Cool

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 5:34pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
@ Bill Myers

thanks. I completely overlooked that. I'll take a look at the settings later.

@ Normp

I'm not completely finished yet. There are also a few templates with a style switcher. Because of SSL you don't need to do anything anymore. I have incorporated the necessary modules.
Then you incorporated your own search. I think I can find the codes in the index.html under the templates. I'll work on it in the next few days. If any members are shown as ex-members (usually in the overview page), this is a bug. I have this in my forum too, but it's not a problem. If something is missing, write it here and I'll take care of it.

IP Logged

Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 5:44pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
As you can see, not all members were transferred when converting. I transfer them manually.
I have created an admin account for myself. Please don't delete this. If there are errors, it will be easier for me to get into the forum.

IP Logged

I Love YaBB!

Reply #13 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 9:36pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Maybe I shouldn't be doing anything on my site until I here back from you. Here's what I did: I set the Form start date back to January 1995 (it was showing 2003). That didn't change the problem of the "Ex Members" thing. But when I came back into forum the message showed up "Remember the Forum is in Maintenance Mode." So I assume it cannot "be used" for now since you (Pyrogany54) are working on it still?  Thanks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Awards: 1
Who Knows
Mood: Blessed
Zodiac sign: Aries
Reply #14 - Oct 9th, 2023 at 10:44pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Normp wrote on Oct 9th, 2023 at 9:36pm:
Here's what I did: I set the Form start date back to January 1995 (it was showing 2003). That didn't change the problem of the "Ex Members" thing.

I'm sorry that didn't work. It worked for me, but I also remember engaging the "Rebuild Members List" after that, which temporarily put the forum into maintenance mode.

Because your forum was still in maintenance mode after you changed your forum's start date, I'm guessing that you're correct about it being worked on. As such, you seem to be doing the right thing by waiting to get word back from pyragony54.

Edited:
P.S. In the Yabb 2.4 forum that I operate, there are also the "Recount Membership" & "Rebuild Members History" functions. I think that I may have used those as well ... not really sure.

Edited:

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn reddit Twitter Yahoo
HELP!!! Really need advice

Please type the characters exactly as they appear in the image,
without the first 2 and last 2 characters.
The characters must be typed in the same order,
and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Off Topic Comment Insert Spoiler
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 5000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: %
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry