Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Getting Closer on 2.7 (Read 45300 times)

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Mood: Dead
Re: Getting Closer on 2.7
Reply #75 - Jun 5th, 2022 at 11:26am

I never experienced the transition from YaBB to YaBB/SMF that much because I only came to the community forum when there were serious problems. Sometimes it took a few days, but usually I was helped within 2 days. Maybe that's the reason we didn't look further, because if the the support forum wasn't friendly to me I would have already made a switch at the time. But Spike helped me a lot and Jet Lee and with them I never had any problems.

It was the choice of my ex colleague admin, to take YaBB and NOW there is no talking to him about it without getting annoyed, even when I ask him why he quit after only a year.

But if I had known all this in early 2005, I would have already made a switch, after all, back then the forum was small, and the risk of crashing idem ditto.

Maybe there should still be a YaBB26 converter.

But I don't know what kind of forums you have, that of @ pyragony54 I know, but my forum is a forum, with a lot of translated news about for example the war in Ukraine, about the worthless politics in Poland and their neighboring countries. For that reason, I think it would work for me if I started SMF and made the Current Yabbforum static as an archive.
Old news is only important if you need it as study material, that's what it's used for a lot so additions to it are not needed.

"If it ain't Broke, Don't Fix It" . . . . . .  Know it, we use that here too.  Smiley

But why do extra work, to install phpBB in addition to SMF? I'm often already working 13 hours a day now and continuing on a new SMF, that will add a month of extra work, but after that there is peace again. Remember, I do everything for free there is no one who pays for my work, because at the time I made the choice to do something on the Internet, so that the gray matter in the upper chamber does not fall silent after retirement. But I MUST continue to think, because when I close my eyes, others must be able to continue.

Most users of my forum would rather be lazy than tired.  Shocked

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Awards: 1
Who Knows
Mood: Blessed
Zodiac sign: Aries
Reply #76 - Jun 5th, 2022 at 7:15pm

Pieszyce wrote on Jun 5th, 2022 at 11:26am:
But why do extra work, to install phpBB in addition to SMF?

That's an excellent point. I only mentioned phpBB so that you could compare the two. SMF seems like the best for you, so you might as well stick to that.

Speaking of which, there's a new member here who could be very helpful.

Oldiesmann wrote on Jun 5th, 2022 at 6:43pm:
Just registered here and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm an SMF person ...

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #77 - Jun 5th, 2022 at 8:51pm

Quote:
That's an excellent point.

It was more a question than a comment, phpBB I know inside as a moderator on a forum about Iran, set up as a contact point for refugees during the uprising there. But it didn't attract me found YaBB more pleasant to work with. Never looked into SMF, but if my mate is telling the truth, I will get around to it in a few weeks when he is back. I don't have time for an install myself. Should be ready to test and view.  Smiley

The question arose because several others on the web have indicated that they have forum systems side by side, but never really decide which is the best to use. That was my concern because surely there are reviews out there where you can read some.

I saw it, I hope he can tell us a bit more, without violating the forum of Dandello, because that would not be fair.  Wink

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Mood: Annoyed
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Reply #78 - Jun 5th, 2022 at 9:04pm

All I ask is no flaming one another and we put comments, recommendations, regarding other software into: Converting to other software

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #79 - Jun 18th, 2022 at 1:51pm

And then . . . . . . . . then there was a puppy and I hope everything goes perfectly with him. Wink

But... . . .

How are things going with version 2.7?
How does it go on with 2.6.12 and the Bugs that are in it?
Is 2.7 the last version and the end of a YaBB empire?

Has JonB ever responded?

So there are many questions, with no more answers.

Too bad, very unfortunate. Cry

By the way, this is not a start of a discussion I am participating in, but a question.

I need to know if I can continue or better stop.  Huh

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Mood: Annoyed
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Reply #80 - Jun 18th, 2022 at 3:36pm

Puppy is doing fine but is a handful (Shetland Sheepdogs are NOT low energy dogs and Georgette has discovered that the yard includes the neighbors cats who don't really want to play dog games with her.)

Jon B has not gotten back.

2.7 will be the last unless someone steps up to help with coding and updating to new Perl versions.

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #81 - Jun 18th, 2022 at 4:09pm

I know the breed, in the Netherlands they call them Sheltie's and a friend of ours had two, with which he trained for show's. I myself had two swiss white shepherds.
https://www.puppyplaats.nl/images/puppyfotos/thumbmedium_1654016153368085.png

I’m sorry. But cannot understand JonB  that, when you start something, then that creates obligations, but JonB has also let me down in the past.

And the repair of Bugs in 2.6?

I wish I were able to help you, but I don't know anything about Perl or how to code.... I unfortunately never learned that, something I regret.  Cry

IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #82 - Jun 20th, 2022 at 3:30pm

Quote:
2.7 will be the last unless someone steps up to help with coding and updating to new Perl versions.

Hi Dandello,

When someone installs 2.7, is there any help when bugs appear or does support stop as well?

Now my forum is still fairly stable, but how long will that take and if there is no help how can we proceed? Stop everything?

Sorry if I'm a nuisance, but 18 years of work is in danger of breaking.  Cry

IP Logged

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Zodiac sign: Scorpio
Reply #83 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 12:26pm

Dandello wrote on Jun 18th, 2022 at 3:36pm:

If YaBB 2.7 is the last version, so be it. But what do you mean by PERL update? Doing this on a dedicated server is no problem for me. With virtual servers, however, there will be difficulties from the providers. You know I'd love to help you code, but I can't and I don't know anyone who can. Okay, promise me that 2.7 will be ready soon and bug free and I'll keep going. I have no other choice, switching to SMF is out of the question for me. If you need help with sending email, you can always use my server. I've just installed the latest build on yabbtest.de and am currently transferring my big forum. I'll probably know by tonight German time. Later more.

I feel like they want YaBB to die. Why else are the YaBB pages no longer working?
Why doesn't anyone tell us the truth.

This is exactly what JetLi wanted. Now he did it.

if (idea == 'none') {use (manuals) && (Google | | search)}
if ($ answer == 0) {post (question)}

IP Logged

Red Barchetta

Reply #84 - Jun 25th, 2022 at 3:51pm

pyragony54 wrote on Jun 25th, 2022 at 12:26pm:
Okay, promise me that 2.7 will be ready soon and bug free and I'll keep going.

You want 2.7 to be ready soon, but other than Dandello, who is working on it to make this happen? Dandello has even told us that she has a full time job, and its not YaBB. As for Bug Free, YaBB has never been bug free. Expensive mission critical programs are not bug free. But those people have paid programmers who's job it is to program, or they do not get paid. YaBB does not have that, it has all been donated time, donated skill. And those donations have ended. Someone has to pay for the Yabb hosting, the domain names, etc. Yet we are not charged to cover the cost. Even if it is self hosted, there is still cost to keep the equipment going, the added resources, and yes, the time that has to be given.

YaBB was a free community supported project. But that community has all but gone. If I had 10-20 volunteer workers to build free homes for the homeless, and all but 2 quit and never show up again, yet the homeless insisted that I continue to keep building them perfect free homes, how do I do it? That is YaBB right now.

Maybe I am missing something, but I do not know what "truth" you are looking for. Dandello has said she has tried to contact Jon about yabbforum.com, but there has been no response. I am guessing she did not set up the domain, the host for yabbforum.com, and does not have the passwords to give it support. Or maybe the bill has come due for the hosting?

I am sure I could be wrong with any of this, but without the support like we used to have, it is going to be extremely hard for YaBB to develop beyond where it is now.

Florida Classics and Muscle Car Automotive Forum Administrator
IP Logged

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #85 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 9:14am

@ Red Barchetta

I know all this, it's nothing new to me. I also put a lot of time into YaBB. I also understand that Dandello doesn't have the time or inclination anymore. Only when I start something do I finish it. Dandelo writes she will finish YaBB 2.7, okay. Then I will also finish the translations. No problem. Of course, the mods must then also be adjusted. I sat there for weeks doing the translation for YaBB 2.7 and in Germany they have two translations, formal and informal. Both are important. I also offered to host the YaBB sites on my server and that was free of charge. No answer is also an answer. I look after a few YaBB forums here in Germany and I do it for free because I just enjoy it. I don't care about the money.

But I'll start with an example of how not to do it. XTC develops the mod "Who is where" After YaBB has been further developed, this mod also has to be adapted. This was also done by JetLi and what did he do, he sold the mod to anyone who wanted it for 20 euros. I called XTC and told him about it. The end of the story: XTC rewrote the mod and JetLi was at a loss. At the same time, completely different machinations came to light. But that is not important now. Maybe XTC will write something about it at some point.

The fact is, Dandello announced here in this post that she will finish 2.7, I hope the mods too. For me, that's reason enough to keep going. I have now set up YaBB 2.7 on my test domain and will now try to transfer my large forum. I will write about mistakes.

PS: Doesn't JohnB also live in Miami? Or am I wrong there?

IP Logged

Red Barchetta

Reply #86 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 6:37pm

pyragony54 wrote on Jun 26th, 2022 at 9:14am:
Doesn't JohnB also live in Miami? Or am I wrong there?

If he does, someone PM me more info about him and I will see if I can find him.

IP Logged

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #87 - Jun 27th, 2022 at 6:17am

Yesterday I completed the installation of YaBB 2.7 and last night uploaded all the data from my forum (almost 500,000 posts and almost 50,000 topics) to the conversion. Everything went smoothly, no errors. I noticed that there is still a lot to be done with the translation, apparently something was added. No problem.
However, what does not work is sending mails with the YaBB engine and Perl modules. Otherwise I can't find any errors at the moment.

@ Dandello

if you need access to test mail delivery, I will give you the data for the mailbox.

You know your access data for the forum.

In my opinion, YaBB 2.7 turned out very well.

As always, the test forum is located below

https://yabbtest.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Now I will slowly incorporate the mods, but this should be done before the conversion. Other languages should be incorporated before the setup. Otherwise you have to incorporate them manually.
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2022 at 10:12am by pyragony54 »  

IP Logged

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #88 - Jun 27th, 2022 at 10:15am

Red Barchetta wrote on Jun 26th, 2022 at 6:37pm:
If he does, someone PM me more info about him and I will see if I can find him.

Unfortunately I don't have any more data. All I know is how a hurricane hit Florida a few years ago and someone had to get to safety. I think it was JohnB but I'm not 100% sure.

Edited:
I found

JonB has actually checked in - he's doing backups of YaBB and BoardMod for safekeeping before evacuating his office due to the hurricane. (He also sends his thanks for all your hardwork with YaBB. He's had some issues the past year or so that has kept him from being active with YaBB.)

Send good thoughts his way for getting through this storm.

IP Logged

Red Barchetta

Reply #89 - Jun 27th, 2022 at 2:46pm

JonB's last post was on Mar 5th, 2015 at 10:06am. I can not see his last login date. In 2022, I do not believe the USA has had a hurricane yet. There was Hurricane Agatha, Agatha made landfall near Puerto Angel, Mexico this past May. So if JonB was evacuating for a hurricane this year, he is in Mexico.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 
Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn reddit Twitter Yahoo