Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Getting Closer on 2.7 (Read 45309 times)

Dandello
Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Mood: Annoyed
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Re: Getting Closer on 2.7
Reply #60 - May 26th, 2022 at 12:59pm

By some miracle (Saint Vidicon pray for YaBB) I was able to get the 2.7 edits pushed to the SVN. Going to look at 2.612 later today or tomorrow.

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Mood: Dead
Reply #61 - May 26th, 2022 at 7:30pm

@ pyragony54

Quote:
I don't want to switch to SMF, I've already mentioned a few reasons. In addition, I would have to change thousands of links in my forum. Not funny.

Which links do you mean, the ones for the photos or also the ones for the YaBB software?

Although no decision has been made at us what to do, it seems to me that during converting links should also be able to be adjusted, otherwise is first maybe a better converting prog. needed.

IP Logged

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Zodiac sign: Scorpio
Reply #62 - May 27th, 2022 at 7:09am

@ Pieszyce

It's about linking from the Coppermine to the forum and vice versa. There is no conversion tool.

if (idea == 'none') {use (manuals) && (Google | | search)}
if ($ answer == 0) {post (question)}

IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #63 - May 27th, 2022 at 10:10am

@ pyragony54

Ok thanks, i know enough, i don't have coppermine. One less problem for me.  Wink

IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #64 - Jun 1st, 2022 at 9:29pm

And then it was quiet.   Cry

I didn't have much to do today, so I took a look in SMF. "Main" is something I don't like at all, I find YaBB's way of doing settings much nicer and friendlier.

I also didn't see that you can set registration so that the Admin has to click Approve before someone is registered, which in YaBB is easy to do and sometimes very necessary.

Are there more people with this kind of experience?

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #65 - Jun 1st, 2022 at 11:49pm

I have an excuse - we got a new puppy.

IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #66 - Jun 2nd, 2022 at 1:04am

You are forgiven  Angry  Grin Grin

I'd like to too, but in a flat it's nothing.
Therefore we have a parakeet.  Cheesy

IP Logged

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Zodiac sign: Scorpio
Reply #67 - Jun 2nd, 2022 at 2:34pm

@ Pieszyce

I don't like SMF. The graphics leave a lot to be desired. I haven't looked at it further. My concerns are primarily directed at the database. SQL databases that exceed 64MB are very difficult to restore if the server is to be moved.

Dandello wrote on Jun 1st, 2022 at 11:49pm:
I have an excuse - we got a new puppy.

Animals have hobbies too.

@ Dandello

There is still a problem with the activation mail

Quote:
Klicke zur Account Aktivierung bitte auf den folgenden Link.

<a href="https://www.anti-scam.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=activate&username=7B525058...">https://www.anti-scam.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=activate&username=7B525058...;

Falls der Link nicht funktioniert (oder falls Du AOL verwendest), kopiere den Link, und füge ihn in die Adressleiste Deines Web-Browsers ein.

This leads to the error message: Insertion of script code not allowed.

I think this is triggered by <pre>.

Solution urgently needed.

if (idea == 'none') {use (manuals) && (Google | | search)}
if ($ answer == 0) {post (question)}

IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #68 - Jun 2nd, 2022 at 4:00pm

@  pyragony54

Quote:
I don't like SMF. The graphics leave a lot to be desired. I haven't looked at it further. My
concerns are primarily directed at the database. SQL databases that exceed 64MB are very difficult to
restore if the server is to be moved.

I understand you, template ism ok I don't care what color, because that's taste. But I really don't
like what comes next. Maybe because I normally work with DirectAdmin  at the server and
don't want a CPanel either.

Now it's going to be even harder to decide what to do. The developers should come back, that would
be the best solution so that Dandello doesn't have to do everything alone.

Now I already work 12 hours a day, that will be 14 hours if I want to get to know SMF.   Cry Cry

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #69 - Jun 2nd, 2022 at 4:11pm

You're going to have to do some hunting but find
Code
Select All
action=activate&username= 

And make it
Code
Select All
action=activate&amp;username= 

More modern security protocols don't allow a raw '&' in links. Your browser makes it look like a raw & but it isn't.pyragony54 wrote on Jun 2nd, 2022 at 2:34pm:
Animals have hobbies too.

My puppy's hobbies currently include chewing on trouser hems and going poo.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Awards: 1
Who Knows
Mood: Blessed
Zodiac sign: Aries
Reply #70 - Jun 2nd, 2022 at 5:04pm

Pieszyce wrote on Jun 1st, 2022 at 9:29pm:
I didn't have much to do today, so I took a look in SMF. "Main" is something I don't like at all, I find YaBB's way of doing settings much nicer and friendlier.

I also didn't see that you can set registration so that the Admin has to click Approve before someone is registered, which in YaBB is easy to do and sometimes very necessary.

Are there more people with this kind of experience?

Setting aside the fact that SMF is actually a fork of YaBB, albeit it's far advanced at this stage, you may want to take a look at the phpBB forum software.

I have test forums of both SMF and phpBB. I more or less mirrored my still existing YaBB forum, and my preference is phpBB. Keep in mind that those of us who've used YaBB for all of these many years will inherently like it better than any other forum if for no other reason than we're simply experienced with it.

Even now I still prefer the look of YaBB, in large part because I can very easily incorporate it into an HTML interface, which is very convenient. On the other hand, both SMF and phpBB are mobile friendly, and most traffic to all of our sites come from mobile devices.

The thing is, just because *I* think YaBB may be the best doesn't mean it is, and in fact, it isn't for a variety of reasons. Primarily, it's because development has more or less stagnated, and the "official" support forum has evidently been permanently shuttered.

I should point out that of all the people who participate here in Dandello's forum, I'm the least capable in terms of understanding how PERL works. So for me, the prudent thing to do is to have a contingency plan if, or when my YaBB forum becomes inoperable.

By the way, admins in phpBB can easily set the registration so that approvals have to be determined by admins before someone is registered. They can also set permissions for newly registered members that are more restrictive than regular members, etc., etc., etc. If I can figure this stuff out with phpBB, then the rest of you can surely figure it all out far better than me. But until you give it a serious try beyond the Demo that's provided, i.e., test it out yourself on your own site, and get acclimated to it, making a fair assessment isn't possible.

On an unrelated note, I recently switched a handful of my sites to a cloud server, which seems to be a prudent thing to do. So far, so good. However, because I like YaBB so much, I'm still using it on a dedicated server that I've had for over 20 years (different generations of it).

On a related note when it comes to changing "thousands of links" in a forum, I suppose the thing to do is to lock down one's YaBB forum as an archive of sorts, and start fresh with a new forum software of one's choice. That's what I'll likely end up doing if or when I officially switch to a phpBB forum.

One day at a time. Wink

As for puppies, they're the greatest, and we don't need to know PERL to keep them happy. Grin

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #71 - Jun 2nd, 2022 at 6:37pm

@ Bill Myers

I know phpBB software from the time I was a moderator for someone who had a forum on Iran. I did this in addition to my work on YaBB which was my own. Many times I told the owner of that forum, "Switch to YaBB, you'll have fewer problems." After a small year, his forum was gone, attacked again and he would not recover.

YaBB I have from the end of 2003 and from January 2004 operative.

I do not have a test forum, I work on a shared server at a host, also would not have the time to delve further into the matter because otherwise my other work remains. Well I have a team, but the only one who can translate and therefore I have never the time to study something. On the one hand it is a pity, on the other hand I am too old to have it stored in that grey mass above . With software you have to start young.

I have very few complaints about mobile friendly. Uncle Google checks, is there a mistake than I tackle it, same goes for my websits in WP. AND . . . . indeed YaBB for me is better than any other where I have been allowed to browse.

I think it is a terrible shame that the development has stagnated. I even told my team. "I don't know what I'm going to do yet, maybe I'll give you everything and leave myself." I told them, YaBB is the baby and I'll provide the bath water.

Someone is doing a setup on his dedicated server, when that's done we'll go together and see what's different and if I really want it. Then I'll make the final decision.

Also I have been on a cloud, I thought in 2017, but was back within two months, too often downtime. Now with that host, where I've been for another 3 years, I've had 1 outage of 2 minutes. Beautiful can't do I say.

That was also my idea, make an archive of the old forum and continue with a new setup. THAT is not a problem with a country forum either because the first post in sticky can contain a link to the archive and that's it.

If I was really wealthy, I would appoint a few developers, and with Dandello as their Boss, YaBB would be developed further. I too think, that in principle there is nothing better and simpler than YaBB. Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Who Knows
Reply #72 - Jun 4th, 2022 at 1:50am

Pieszyce wrote on Jun 2nd, 2022 at 6:37pm:
YaBB I have from the end of 2003 and from January 2004 operative.

The bottom line about YaBB is that it's no longer the #1 forum software no matter how much we may like it, and no matter how much we inexplicably claim that it's the best. Furthermore, our YaBB community has dwindled down to a very small handful of people, and the official YaBB support forum no longer exists.

Like you, I have a YaBB forum that's still operative, which went live on May 20, 2002. However, the hard truth is that YaBB hasn't had active development for many years now, which has effectively made it a relic. Keep in mind that PERL updates are inevitable, which means that YaBB's software needs to be updated along the way as well.

I'm reminded of my original iPad, which Apple hasn't updated its software in years, which means I can't do banking on it, etc. My solution has been to buy new iPads and iPhones along the way as needed to keep up with software updates, and compatibility.

Being mobile friendly is important, although YaBB actually operates just fine in a mobile environment. It's just not built for it, which in due time will likely present problems.

In regard to your aversion to cloud hosting with SSD drives, etc., that's the wave of the future. The downtime you experienced was surely because of bad management by your host; not cloud computing.

IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #73 - Jun 4th, 2022 at 2:48pm

@ Myers

That it is shrinking can also be due to a lack of Promotion. Now when I send my ex colleague admin a mail and it contains the word YaBB he flies through the roof. Well he also stopped a year after the creation of the forum, just like Zef Hemel so comment, no comment.

That the support forum just disappeared, I consider a knife in the back of those who are still active with the forum. Doesn't matter if old age or illness has anything to do with it. If a developer no longer wants, is only a post with . . . .

Quote:
Dear people,

The YaBB support forum etc, etc, . . . . . . . . .

Just shutting down is not neat and a signal of we are malingering with those who still use YaBB.

Grin Grin Grin Grin I still use an old Samsung SHG mobile and also have 2 Nokias from years ago, everything works and I can do anything with it. I can make phone calls with it and that is the most important thing. I call on average for about 15 euros per year mobile. So a smartphone with a subscription is a waste of money for me. I once did an investigation on my forum, why responding is becoming less and less. Cause number 1 was, The Smartphone with small keys, is not ideal to work with. Really, even if one would like to give me one for free, I say, No, thank you. I don't want to call or be called when I'm on the road, it's also a nice moment of rest looking at all the wonderful things you can see along the way.

I very rarely get a request from Google to adjust something because it would not work properly on mobile.

Had to do with, I believe Cloudflare, at least 3 times a week everything was down and according to the line you are then shown it was cloudflare's fault.

Do the converters work here? https://download.simplemachines.org/?converters or don't you know them.
YaBB only goes up to YaBB 22 or am I seeing this wrong???

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Who Knows
Reply #74 - Jun 5th, 2022 at 12:30am

Pieszyce wrote on Jun 4th, 2022 at 2:48pm:
That it is shrinking can also be due to a lack of Promotion ...

Given that there's really nothing to promote, the so-called shrinking of YaBB's user base was inevitable. Speaking of promotion, it also didn't help that those in control of YaBB's support forum hardly promoted a friendly environment. People were routinely banned from participating in the forum, and respect for developers was lacking.

It was only a matter of time before developers pursued a different path, which is what happened when YaBB was forked off to create SMF. Jeff Lewis and Joseph Fung "did a complete rewrite of the code and changed the brand name to Simple Machines Forum (SMF). On September 30, 2003, the first "YaBB SE/SMF" product, SMF 1.0 Beta 1a, was released."

"The development and support team for YaBB SE was shut down in March 2004 with hundreds of communities in operation, when the developers joined the SMF project. A converter was developed to convert YaBB SE to SMF."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Machines_Forum

On that note, when it comes to converters, what you saw is evidently correct.

Take this with a grain of salt, but for those who are still using YaBB after all of these years, my recommendation is to stick with it. After all, "If It Ain’t Broke, Don’t Fix It".

https://knowyourphrase.com/if-it-aint-broke-dont-fix-it#:~:text=Meaning%3A-,If%2...

Nonetheless, if one's schedule permits it, I still recommend that YaBB admins install phpBB as well as SMF. In other words, more or less mirror the topics you have in your YaBB forum, and then add/create some users with various permissions so that you can get acclimated to both.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn reddit Twitter Yahoo