Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Bad Ban of gurdian accees proxy (Read 4650 times)

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dandello
Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Mood: Annoyed
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Re: Bad Ban of gurdian accees proxy
Reply #15 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 4:35pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Rucola wrote on Dec 21st, 2017 at 4:01pm:
The woods went through the forest and ordinary home computers came to the forum, I just do not remember the addresses, but everything worked

And according to your account, some of those home computers registered as accessing the Internet via proxy.
All that a proxy server does is forward the request through a different IP address. Generally this is in an attempt of mask the true IP address of the computer in question - either they do not wish to be logged OR the IP address assigned to them by their ISP has reputation issues.
Being on a home computer does not automatically mean that computer is NOT using a proxy to get on the Internet.
I have a whole list of proxy servers I can access from my home computer. And I know of ISPs in the U.S. that use 'dynamic IP addresses' and some of those do a good imitation of a Proxy server - so much so that I have the 'Deny Proxies' function turned off on most of my forums.)

You say you want a 'repair' - I have told you what it is. (And yes, I am shouting.)

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Rucola
Bug Finder

Mood: Adventurous
Zodiac sign: Taurus
Reply #16 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 6:56pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
yes do what you want you are on your resource and in your rights-if it was as you say, this system would not ban everyone in a row so that no one can go to the forum-except those in the white list-and how to get into it if you are new and want to register, for example, I would like to give my api for whitelisting (which is inconvenient), so even the message can not be sent to the admin (for guests such a chip) immediately to the ban and you write with a proxy, list and you will come-if you come to you after all without a proxy? -Aypy constant-then you are right you do not have to repair it, you need it-and again I repeat that no module

IP Logged

Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #17 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 7:40pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
There is nothing to 'repair'. Guardian is not 'making up' data. It responds to the data given. It has no way to determine a 'good' proxy from a 'bad' proxy or whether or not a wifi hot-spot or an Internet Server provider is sending data that indicates a computer is using proxy server.

Your choice: Turn OFF Deny Proxies. Or keep Deny Proxies turned on and turn off the 'automatically add to .htaccess' so those 'innocent' people can get the admin's email address (assuming it's posted where they can see it - like in the default.html ) and ask to be let in and have either their IP address white-listed or the admin makes them a member and adds their user name to the white-list.

OR you can wait until I have have time next year to create a Mod for automatically white-listing members.

And again, an IP address is white-listed that white-listing is for ANYONE using that IP address. Also, a white-listed IP address can be blocked. Being white-listed does not prevent that.

An speaking of IP bans - you came within about 2 seconds of being automatically IP blocked HERE. Hitting the refresh on an error page is a good way to get IP blocked.

IP Logged

Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #18 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 12:52pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
A quick possible fix for your proxies problem:

In Sources/Guardian.pm find
Code (Perl)
Select All
    # Proxy Blocker 

add after:
Code (Perl)
Select All
     my $whitelisted = 0;
     our %memberlist;
     require Variables::Memberlist;
     if (    $memberlist{$username}
          || $action eq 'login'
          || $action eq 'login2'
          || $action eq 'register'
          || $action eq 'register2'
          || $action eq 'guestpm' )
     {
          $whitelisted = 1;
     } 

also find:
Code (Perl)
Select All
     my @white_list = split /[|]/xsm, $whitelist;
     my $whitelisted = 0;
     foreach my $i (@white_list) {
         chomp $i;
         if (
             (
                    $proxy0 =~ m/$i/xsm
                 || $proxy1 =~ m/$i/xsm
                 || $proxy2 =~ m/$i/xsm
                 || $proxy3 =~ m/$i/xsm
                 || $username eq $i
             )
             && $i ne q{}
           ) 

and replace with
Code (Perl)
Select All
     my @white_list = split /[|]/xsm, $whitelist;
     foreach my $i (@white_list) {
         chomp $i;
         if ( $i ne q{} &&
             (
                    $proxy0 =~ m/$i/xsm
                 || $proxy1 =~ m/$i/xsm
                 || $proxy2 =~ m/$i/xsm
                 || $proxy3 =~ m/$i/xsm
                 || $username eq $i
             )
           ) 

This has NOT been tested but should white-list all members and allow people using proxies to register, login, reset their password, or contact the Admin.

Also, in Anti-Spam settings: make sure 'Activate speed-post detection and banning?' is checked and 'Post speed' is set to something like 5 and 'ErrorLog speed banning.' is set to something like 15 - too low and even bots won't trip it, too high and you catch members who think it's clever to keep refreshing errors.

This section in Anti-Spam settings is the reason why I don't need to block proxies on my forums - the bad bots trip themselves up by acting like bots - and repeating the same error over and over and over again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn reddit Twitter Yahoo
Bad Ban of gurdian accees proxy

Please type the characters exactly as they appear in the image,
without the first 2 and last 2 characters.
The characters must be typed in the same order,
and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Off Topic Comment Insert Spoiler
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 5000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: %
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry