Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) BUGS!!! (Read 17717 times)

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Monni
Language

Min izāmō

Mood: Frustrated
Zodiac sign: Pisces
BUGS!!!
May 6th, 2016 at 11:11am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
What is going to be the minimum and maximum supported version of Perl as recently on one of forums I help with I noticed old YaBB stopped loading completely because of breaking API changes...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dandello
Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Mood: Annoyed
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Re: BUGS!!!
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2016 at 1:28pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
So long as c-Panel ships with Perl 5.08, that's our oldest supported Perl. I know YaBB 2.52 through 2.6+ work on Perl 5.18 but there may be a deprecation problem with RSS.pm with Perl 5.2+ (Luckily the problem appears to be in section that can be safely removed as RSS.pm will never call it.)

The problems with older versions of YaBB is mostly deprecated code, very old html and very old javascript.

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2016 at 5:48pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 6th, 2016 at 1:28pm:
So long as c-Panel ships with Perl 5.08, that's our oldest supported Perl. I know YaBB 2.52 through 2.6+ work on Perl 5.18 but there may be a deprecation problem with RSS.pm with Perl 5.2+ (Luckily the problem appears to be in section that can be safely removed as RSS.pm will never call it.)

The problems with older versions of YaBB is mostly deprecated code, very old html and very old javascript.

Cpanel says Perl version is 5.10.1, but YaBB 2.6.11 fails when it starts loading Path.pm... I tracked down the main problem and that is uninitialized variables do not default to numeric zero anymore, so a lot of code that assumes it can use uninitialized variables stopped working. Another problem is that chomping file handles that are explicitly cast as arrays is not supported anymore... If I use push inside readline loop, chomp works without giving warning.

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2016 at 8:38pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
cPanel can ship with 5.8.8, 5.10 or 5.16 at '/usr/bin/perl/' depending on the server OS and tech choice. The newest cPanel also comes with Perl 5.22 at '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/perl'

My testbed runs Activestate Perl 5.16.3
This forum's host is running 5.8.8. Plus I can change the shebang and access Perl 5.14.4 at '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/perl'

YaBBForum is running Perl 5.12.4

I know some things have been deprecated between 5.16 and 5.22 so I'll check to see if 5.22 supports some of the Modules I need for my testbed so I can see what warnings it throws.

Edited:
Just installed Activestate Perl 5.22.1 on my testbed. Aside from some deprecated regex issues I already knew about, YaBB 2.6.11 and YaBB 2.7.x work fine under ActivePerl 5.22.1. Therefore I suspect the problems you are seeing with Perl 5.10.1 has to do with some sort of security protocols. You don't say what server errors there are. The server errors will tell you if it's a deprecated code issue. I also cannot reproduce the @ARG in RSS.pm error with WinApache 2.22.2 on a Win7 machine. So I'm tending towards thinking this is a Win/IIS issue that I cannot test.

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2016 at 12:27pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 7th, 2016 at 8:38pm:
cPanel can ship with 5.8.8, 5.10 or 5.16 at '/usr/bin/perl/' depending on the server OS and tech choice. The newest cPanel also comes with Perl 5.22 at '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/perl'

My testbed runs Activestate Perl 5.16.3
This forum's host is running 5.8.8. Plus I can change the shebang and access Perl 5.14.4 at '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/perl'

YaBBForum is running Perl 5.12.4

I know some things have been deprecated between 5.16 and 5.22 so I'll check to see if 5.22 supports some of the Modules I need for my testbed so I can see what warnings it throws.

These are just some examples from errorlog.txt:
Quote:
1462647464|1462647464|84.251.212.53|Tapahtui virhe! Subroutine main::find_latest_data redefined at Sources/BoardIndex.pm line 776.||||RJL|
1462647548|1462647548|54.221.104.60|Tapahtui virhe! Use of uninitialized value $template_print_post in concatenation (.) or string at Sources/Display.pm line 1438.||1368612703|haku||
1462647624|1462647624|40.77.167.12|Tapahtui virhe! Use of uninitialized value in string eq at ./Sources/RSS.pm line 341.|RSSrecent||||
1462648040|1462648039|157.55.39.73|Tapahtui virhe! Use of uninitialized value $template_print_post in concatenation (.) or string at Sources/Display.pm line 1438.||1368612703|haku||
1462648191|1462648191|188.143.232.70|Tapahtui virhe! Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ./Templates/srhs/Register.template line 288.|register||||
1462648195|1462648194|188.143.232.70|Tapahtui virhe! Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ./Sources/Search.pm line 74.|search||||

Quote:
1462650296|1462650296|85.76.131.129|Tapahtui virhe! Value of <HANDLE> construct can be "0"; test with defined() at ./Sources/Memberlist.pm line 297.|ml|||vesa.k|

Quote:
1462652613|1462652613|91.233.116.228|Selvitt�m�t�n virhe :<br />The 'epoch' parameter ("Ei tiedossa") to DateTime::from_epoch did not pass regex check at /usr/local/lib64/perl5/DateTime.pm line 488      DateTime::from_epoch(undef, 'epoch', 'Ei tiedossa') called at Sources/DateTime.pm line 54      main::toffs('Ei tiedossa', undef) called at Sources/DateTime.pm line 177      main::timeformat('Ei tiedossa') called at Sources/BoardIndex.pm line 457      main::BoardIndex() called at YaBB.pl line 226      main::yymain() called at YaBB.pl line 171      eval {...} called at YaBB.pl line 171||||TOH|

Quote:
1462653210|1462653209|151.80.31.175|Tapahtui virhe! Use of /g modifier is meaningless in split at Sources/MediaCenter.pm line 135.||1420742338|muut_radiolaitteet||

Some warnings don't cause croak, but make some features no-op, like viewing IMs and adding or editing attachments.

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2016 at 12:36pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
I added "push @INC, '.';" to YaBB.pl before "push @INC, './Modules';" when using Perl 5.22.1 so it loads YaBB... Have to check if it works any better...

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #6 - May 8th, 2016 at 1:56pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Make sure 'use warnings' is NOT in YaBB.pl and there is no '-w' or '-W' in the shebang.  Add
Code
Select All
no warnings qw(uninitialized once redefine); 

to all the .pm and .pl files just below the copyright block. That MAY stop the warnings you're seeing. I have no idea what changes on the server may be causing YaBB to be throwing warnings to the YaBB error.log except that what's in the log tells me that warnings is turned on somehow.

For the other errors:
in MediaCenter.pm find
Code
Select All
            @media_in = split /\&/gxsm, $media_in; 

and change it to
Code
Select All
            @media_in = split /\&/xsm, $media_in; 

(Don't know when that error crept in  Embarrassed.)

The epoch time error looks like a language support issue. In BoardIndex.pm find
Code
Select All
        if (   ${ $uid . $curboard }{'lastposttime'} ne 'N/A' 

and replace with
Code
Select All
        if (   ${ $uid . $curboard }{'lastposttime'} =~ m{\A[0-9]+\Z}xsm 

(We're changing looking for NOT 'N/A' to making sure the field only contains numbers.)  I'm sure there are a lot more issues related to language support.

Unfortunately, I really have no idea what change on your server is triggering warnings. I do know it's not due to the Perl version.

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #7 - May 8th, 2016 at 2:02pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Monni wrote on May 8th, 2016 at 12:36pm:
I added "push @INC, '.';" to YaBB.pl before "push @INC, './Modules';" when using Perl 5.22.1 so it loads YaBB... Have to check if it works any better...

I was posting and researching when you made this post - again, I can't reproduce the problems you're having using Apache 2.22 and ActivePerl 5.22.1. (Remember to make the same changes to the @INC in AdminIndex.pl)

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2016 at 2:49pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 8th, 2016 at 2:02pm:

I was posting and researching when you made this post - again, I can't reproduce the problems you're having using Apache 2.22 and ActivePerl 5.22.1. (Remember to make the same changes to the @INC in AdminIndex.pl)

I use ActivePerl on my home machine and it seems it has less issues than Unix stock Perl... The remaining issues I mainly noticed were how in some places proper language files were not loaded or variable substitution failed because variable was defined in different scope than it was used... So some variables were local to the scope instead of being global by default.

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #9 - May 8th, 2016 at 3:29pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Monni wrote on May 8th, 2016 at 2:49pm:
So some variables were local to the scope instead of being global by default.

That still doesn't explain the apparent issue with running 2.6.11 under Perl 5.10 on your *nix host. (Although for 2.7 I have been cleaning up the regexes (5 different versions of the same regex is 4 too many) and going through the variable scopes - making sure that blanks and text aren't being processed as numbers, etc.)

When you have your YaBB install back on track, please post what you needed to do to get it to work.

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #10 - May 8th, 2016 at 3:41pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Quote:
sub CreateOrderFile {
    if ( opendir HELPDIR, "$helpfile/$language/$help_area" ) {
         @contents = readdir HELPDIR;
         closedir HELPDIR;
     } elsif ( opendir HELPDIR, "$helpfile/English/$help_area" ) {
         @contents = readdir HELPDIR;
         closedir HELPDIR;
     }

foreach ( sort { uc($a) cmp uc $b } @contents ) {
         ( $name, $extension ) = split /\./xsm, $_;
         next if $extension !~ /help/ism;
         $order_list .= "$name\n";
     }

fopen( HELPORDER, ">$vardir/$help_area.helporder" )
       or croak(
"couldn't write order file - check permissions on $vardir and $vardir/$help_area.helporder"
       );
     print {HELPORDER} qq~$order_list~ or croak "$croak{'print'} HELPORDER";
     fclose(HELPORDER);
     return;
}

Otherwise the HelpCenter is completely empty.

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #11 - May 8th, 2016 at 4:18pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
fix going into 2.7.12 (This is one of the reasons that whole section is being reworked for 2.7 - what happens if the non-English Help files and English Help files don't match up?)

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #12 - May 8th, 2016 at 9:22pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 8th, 2016 at 3:29pm:
Monni wrote on May 8th, 2016 at 2:49pm:
So some variables were local to the scope instead of being global by default.

That still doesn't explain the apparent issue with running 2.6.11 under Perl 5.10 on your *nix host. (Although for 2.7 I have been cleaning up the regexes (5 different versions of the same regex is 4 too many) and going through the variable scopes - making sure that blanks and text aren't being processed as numbers, etc.)

When you have your YaBB install back on track, please post what you needed to do to get it to work.

So far commented out two lines inside if blocks that fail miserably in ModifyMessage.pm as 'regdate' is never numeric

Quote:
#               ${ $uid . $username }{'regdate'} >= $mdate

Quote:
#                ${ $uid . $username }{'regdate'} > $message[3] ||

Also all reads of line-based data now use "readline HANDLE" instead of "<HANDLE>"
and if it reads all lines, it uses
Quote:
my @arr = ();
my $var;
while (defined($var = readline HANDLE)) {
     push (@arr, $var);
}
chomp @arr;

when it opens a file and doesn't croak on failure, it actually checks the return value of fopen() and doesn't try to do anything if it doesn't return true.

I had to revert a lot of my fixes so I could upgrade to 2.6.12, so I can't make full patch containing all the edits yet...

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #13 - May 8th, 2016 at 10:38pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
In these instances
Code
Select All
${ $uid . $username }{'regdate'}  

should be
Code
Select All
${ $uid . $username }{'regtime'}  

regtime is an Epoch number.

I'm trying to find some documentation on why and when (if?) text file contents became scalar context only and why ActivePerl 5.22.1 still allows file contents in list context if it's been deprecated.

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #14 - May 8th, 2016 at 10:48pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
In ModifyMessage.pm near end is block

Code
Select All
     for my $c ( 0 .. ( @buffer - 1 ) ) {
         if ( ( split /\|/xsm, $buffer[$a], 6 )[4] < $newthreadline[4] ) {
             splice @buffer, $c, 0, join( q{|}, @newthreadline ) . "\n";
             $inserted = 1;
             last;
         }
     }

Perl says $a is invalid in this context, should it be $c instead?

In Register.template there is variable $field{'comment'}, but the declaration is out of scope.

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #15 - May 8th, 2016 at 11:50pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Yeah, that $a should be a $c. ($a and $b are reserved variables and have been for a looong time.)

Quote:
In Register.template there is variable $field{'comment'}, but the declaration is out of scope.

That should be {yabb fieldcomment} with a fix in ExtendedProfiles.pm to accomodate the fix - find
Code
Select All
       $output =~ s/<label for="">/<label for="$name_id">/gsm; 

add after
Code
Select All
    $output =~ s/\Q{yabb fieldcomment}\E/$field{'comment'}/gxsm; 

I think we may have to turn the read-file-to-list solution into a new sub and make an 'upgrade to Perl 2.22.1' Mod.

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #16 - May 8th, 2016 at 11:57pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 8th, 2016 at 10:38pm:
I'm trying to find some documentation on why and when (if?) text file contents became scalar context only and why ActivePerl 5.22.1 still allows file contents in list context if it's been deprecated.

I have no idea what version, but it has to do with how Perl handles empty records/lines in the file... The new guidelines strip empty lines from file but leaves lines like "0", "false" etc, which did equal empty line in the old system when using loop/push-to-array to read file contents. This also affect how chomp works as now it works on whole array instead of individual records. In old system empty record became line feed character stored as first item in the record; in new system, there is none records with empty data.

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #17 - May 9th, 2016 at 12:21am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Another reason to start looking at SQL tables for data storage.  Smiley

I've got company this week so it will take a few days to track down all the file -> list spots with chomp so they can be processed properly. (Of course, if ActivePerl tossed the proper errors, I could see the problem myself.)

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #18 - May 9th, 2016 at 12:28am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 9th, 2016 at 12:21am:
Another reason to start looking at SQL tables for data storage.  Smiley

I've got company this week so it will take a few days to track down all the file -> list spots with chomp so they can be processed properly. (Of course, if ActivePerl tossed the proper errors, I could see the problem myself.)

You just have to use stock perl with -w Wink
It's really fun when you set the error log to 300 lines and YaBB fills that up in just a minute Wink

I'm going to eye operation in early June, so I still have about 3 weeks to crash and fix YaBB. Dunno how many hours a day I play with YaBB as trying to stare the code with just one eye is not very fun.

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #19 - May 9th, 2016 at 11:00am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Code
Select All
 --- C:/Users/Mika/AppData/Local/Temp/Subs.pm-revBASE.svn000.tmp.pm	su touko  8 20:28:47 2016
 +++ C:/msys64/home/Mika/yabb-svn/cgi-bin/yabb2/Sources/Subs.pm	ma touko  9 13:43:51 2016
 @@ -780,10 +780,10 @@ sub image_resize {
              && $x[1] eq 'avatarml' )
          {
              if ( $max_avatarml_width && $x[2] !~ / width=./sm ) {
 -                $x[2] =~ s/( style=.)/$1width:$max_avatarml_width\px;/sm;
 +                $x[2] =~ s/( style=.)/$1width:${max_avatarml_width}px;/sm;
              }
              if ( $max_avatarml_height && $x[2] !~ / height=./sm ) {
 -                $x[2] =~ s/( style=.)/$1height:$max_avatarml_height\px;/sm;
 +                $x[2] =~ s/( style=.)/$1height:${max_avatarml_height}px;/sm;
              }
              $x[2] =~ s/display:none/display:inline/sm;
          }

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #20 - May 9th, 2016 at 1:22pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
To fit the pattern of the others in the set
Code
Select All
$x[2] =~ s/( style=.)/$1height:$max_avatarml_height$px;/sm; 

That whole section SO needs to be reworked.  Undecided

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #21 - May 9th, 2016 at 1:43pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 9th, 2016 at 1:22pm:
To fit the pattern of the others in the set
Code
Select All
$x[2] =~ s/( style=.)/$1height:$max_avatarml_height$px;/sm; 

That whole section SO needs to be reworked.  Undecided

Using $px instead of "px" is just overkill... Not to mention variable names with anything else than 0-9,a-z,A-Z are discouraged, also variables $a and $b are reserved for internal use... I also noticed in one of the files, there is two variables that differ only in letter capitalization even though Perl is inherently case insensitive when it comes to variable names.

There is both $nextMessid and $nextMessId in InstantMessage.pm...

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #22 - May 9th, 2016 at 2:03pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
The capitalization issues are VERY old in YaBB (like first version). And using $a and $b in inappropriate places is also very old in YaBB - so if you see an $aa or a $bb - that was my quick fix for that section.

Perl isn't all that case insensitive (at least in English) otherwise it couldn't tell the difference between $MyVar and $myvar and it can. However, $MyVar is very bad form and PerlCritic has hissy fits over it.

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #23 - May 9th, 2016 at 2:13pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 9th, 2016 at 2:03pm:
The capitalization issues are VERY old in YaBB (like first version). And using $a and $b in inappropriate places is also very old in YaBB - so if you see an $aa or a $bb - that was my quick fix for that section.

Perl isn't all that case insensitive (at least in English) otherwise it couldn't tell the difference between $MyVar and $myvar and it can. However, $MyVar is very bad form and PerlCritic has hissy fits over it.

In the example I updated on the previous post, the second variable is always undefined, because when you assign a value, it can't decide which variable the user means. As usually the warning is supressed without running "perl -w" and is silently ignored as the second variable is implicitly equal to empty string. At least on the version I used, Perl is case insensitive, but case preserving... So the first variable name gets used even if you explicitly try to declare second variable with similar name but differing in capitalization.

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #24 - May 9th, 2016 at 3:17pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Since this is appears to be a real issue but it doesn't appear to negatively affect the vast majority of YaBB installs, I think we should make the capitalization changes in 2.7 (Pushing back the release to August or so. I was hoping for June 1.) and not worry about it for older versions of YaBB.

I still think there's something very odd happening with your *nix host setup. (Like an update to mod_security or something like that.) YaBB should NOt be identifying your Perl version as 5.10 if you're seeing 5.22 issues.

Edited:
And for 2.7 that 100 or so lines of code now looks like
Code
Select All
        if ($fix_img_size{$x[1]}[0] && $perl_do_it == 1 ) {
             if ($fix_img_size{$x[1]}[1] && $x[2] !~ /\s width=./xsm ) {
                 $x[2] =~ s/( style=.)/$1width:$fix_img_size{$x[1]}[1]px;/xsm;
             }
             if ($fix_img_size{$x[0]}[2] && $x[2] !~ /\s height=./xsm ) {
                 $x[2] =~ s/( style=.)/$1height:$fix_img_size{$x[1]}[2]px;/xsm;
             }
             $x[2] =~ s/display:none/display:inline/xsm;
         } 

All the variables related to image resize are in a hash - will also make it easier to add other resizable images in the future.

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #25 - May 9th, 2016 at 3:44pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 9th, 2016 at 3:17pm:
I still think there's something very odd happening with your *nix host setup. (Like an update to mod_security or something like that.) YaBB should NOt be identifying your Perl version as 5.10 if you're seeing 5.22 issues.

Well... The server admin already admitted they f*cked up the Perl upgrade... Obviously they did upgrade the primary Perl version from 5.8 to 5.10, but they also installed Perl 5.22 as separate installation aside the existing separate installation of 5.14. YaBB didn't work for me with Perl 5.8 so I was using the Cpanel-installed 5.14 until it stopped working... Then I downgraded to 5.10, because it did start loading the forum, but got lots of croaks... With 5.22 I haven't had even a single croak yet after I fixed the @INC issue. I had to reset some user files in cgi-bin/yabb2/Members because all the croaking did truncate them. As far as I can tell, I've posted all the changes that made the forum behave with Perl 5.22 as it used to behave with 5.14 before all hell did freeze over due to the upgrade failing.

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #26 - May 9th, 2016 at 4:06pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Like I said, this YaBB install is running on cPanel's Perl 5.08 and runs fine on the Perl 5.14 install as well (I don't run this one in with the 5.14 because I can't update the Perl Modules like I can with the 5.08 install.)

The readline fix should be backwards compatible, although I still haven't found any good documentation on when chomp stopped behaving when readline outputs to list.

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #27 - May 9th, 2016 at 4:52pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 9th, 2016 at 4:06pm:
The readline fix should be backwards compatible, although I still haven't found any good documentation on when chomp stopped behaving when readline outputs to list.

I really don't bother reading any ChangeLogs as long as things just work... Most online FAQs about Perl have conflicting information that pretty much assumes people never use "perl -w" to see if their code actually works as expected... The main problem with anything regarding Perl is implicit cast and how people use it to avoid error checking... readline returns undef on error, so it should be enclosed in defined() always... also chomp should be the first statement after while-push loop so it can scan the whole array and strip linefeeds and empty items. the next thing is that arrays are never in scalar context, so checking array size by implicit cast does not work as expected. Always have to use "scalar @array" or "$#array + 1" to check array size. "$." returns number of records/items read from file before chomp but after while-push loop, but not after chomp. If you try to chomp too late, you will end up passing single linefeed character to chomp and it will return empty string, which is in most cases not what you wanted.

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #28 - May 9th, 2016 at 5:42pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Most people don't test adequately and then there's the added complication that YaBB just plain won't work under strict without disabling a good chunk of the requirements.

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #29 - May 9th, 2016 at 5:45pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 9th, 2016 at 5:42pm:
Most people don't test adequately and then there's the added complication that YaBB just plain won't work under strict without disabling a good chunk of the requirements.

I shouldn't complain... I charge 200 EUR/h for fixing people's forums Wink

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #30 - May 9th, 2016 at 6:37pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Found another glitch... Attachment download count is empty string instead of "0"

needs: $attach_count{$_} ||= 0;

in Display.pm and Printpage.pm

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #31 - May 11th, 2016 at 2:47pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
I am in the process of going through 2.6.12. in ActivePerl 2.22.1 with the -w set in YaBB.pl

I've found some missing  Language items, more than 1 bad logical operator, a lot of items than actually need to be initialized to 0, at least 2 places where there's no check or fall back if a file doesn't exist. (And forcing the 'ignore uninitialized variables' is a given.)

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #32 - May 11th, 2016 at 6:27pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 11th, 2016 at 2:47pm:
I am in the process of going through 2.6.12. in ActivePerl 2.22.1 with the -w set in YaBB.pl

I've found some missing  Language items, more than 1 bad logical operator, a lot of items than actually need to be initialized to 0, at least 2 places where there's no check or fall back if a file doesn't exist. (And forcing the 'ignore uninitialized variables' is a given.)

Just checking for that file does exist is not enough when file can be zero length... I noticed that when fixing the Help Centre... A lot of the croaks I got when Perl wanted to enable warnings also caused truncation of various files, which wasn't so easy to recover from or fix as the Admin Centre still doesn't work even if I have made sure warnings are disabled everywhere. Whatever I try to do in Admin Centre, I get CGI timeout.

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #33 - May 11th, 2016 at 6:41pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Monni wrote on May 11th, 2016 at 6:27pm:
Just checking for that file does exist is not enough when file can be zero length

Yeah, but the file not being there is guaranteed to throw a 'readline() on closed file handle' error. I figure the file being empty is a slightly different issue.

It's just going to take some time to wade through all these.

Edited:
YaBB's Admin Center used to get CGI-timeouts and other errors due to a problem with the Checkspace code section. You might want to check Settings.pm and make sure that's turned off and access to it is also turned off. ($checkspace and anything related to Checkspace.pm. )

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #34 - May 11th, 2016 at 7:19pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 11th, 2016 at 6:41pm:
Edited:
YaBB's Admin Center used to get CGI-timeouts and other errors due to a problem with the Checkspace code section. You might want to check Settings.pm and make sure that's turned off and access to it is also turned off. ($checkspace and anything related to Checkspace.pm. )

$checkspace is set to 0

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #35 - May 11th, 2016 at 8:35pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Monni wrote on May 11th, 2016 at 7:19pm:
$checkspace is set to 0

So it's NOT the old suspect. Does the main page in the AdminCenter load? If it's hanging there, my bet would be the ModuleChecker.

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #36 - May 12th, 2016 at 6:57am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 11th, 2016 at 8:35pm:
Monni wrote on May 11th, 2016 at 7:19pm:
$checkspace is set to 0

So it's NOT the old suspect. Does the main page in the AdminCenter load? If it's hanging there, my bet would be the ModuleChecker.

Main page does load but maintenance tasks time out even though there is 20 second limit for longer tasks.

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #37 - May 12th, 2016 at 2:49pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
The maintenance tasks can be pretty memory and CPU intensive. Wild guess -> If there's a hidden read/write/permissions/ownership issue it's possible YaBB might not throw a proper error and just keep trying to finish its task - or if it runs out of memory and can't load the multiple hashes it needs.

I suspect there's still a server misconfiguration. You might also try adding 'no warnings qw(uninitialized once redefine);' to all the files in the Admin folder and to AdminIndex.pl. (I have a Perl syntax checker that warns of uninitialized variables even when warnings are turned off, so that could be part of the problem.)

BTW - so far I have found that MoveSplitSplice doesn't work properly when warnings are on even when it doesn't throw any warnings on the code. (If I add  'no warnings qw(uninitialized once);' to the file, it behaves. Go figure.)

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #38 - May 12th, 2016 at 6:52pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 12th, 2016 at 2:49pm:
The maintenance tasks can be pretty memory and CPU intensive. Wild guess -> If there's a hidden read/write/permissions/ownership issue it's possible YaBB might not throw a proper error and just keep trying to finish its task - or if it runs out of memory and can't load the multiple hashes it needs.

I suspect there's still a server misconfiguration. You might also try adding 'no warnings qw(uninitialized once redefine);' to all the files in the Admin folder and to AdminIndex.pl. (I have a Perl syntax checker that warns of uninitialized variables even when warnings are turned off, so that could be part of the problem.)

BTW - so far I have found that MoveSplitSplice doesn't work properly when warnings are on even when it doesn't throw any warnings on the code. (If I add  'no warnings qw(uninitialized once);' to the file, it behaves. Go figure.)

Dropping max_process_time to 7 seconds seems to fix the CGI timeout...

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #39 - May 12th, 2016 at 7:26pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Monni wrote on May 12th, 2016 at 6:52pm:

That qualifies as a seriously counter-intuitive WTF. (But I had a similar WTF with tiny YaBBs and the Advanced Backup.)

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #40 - May 13th, 2016 at 7:30am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 12th, 2016 at 7:26pm:
Monni wrote on May 12th, 2016 at 6:52pm:

That qualifies as a seriously counter-intuitive WTF. (But I had a similar WTF with tiny YaBBs and the Advanced Backup.)

Maybe the server admin f*cked up the FastCGI configuration too... lol... now last remaining issue is to make the integrated backup work... maybe just needs fork or something...

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #41 - May 13th, 2016 at 1:17pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Backup uses the same max_process setting as maintenance. I also know that JonB has had probems with earlier YaBB versions getting the integrated backup to behave.

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #42 - May 13th, 2016 at 2:11pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 13th, 2016 at 1:17pm:
Backup uses the same max_process setting as maintenance. I also know that JonB has had probems with earlier YaBB versions getting the integrated backup to behave.

max_process_time has no effect when backing up forum as large directories count as one batch and can take more than 7 seconds easily.

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #43 - May 13th, 2016 at 2:52pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Quote:
IO error: reading data : at /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/522/lib64/perl5/cpanel_lib/Archive/Zip/NewFileMe
mber.pm line 60. Archive::Zip::NewFileMember::_readRawChunk(Archive::Zip::NewFileMember=HASH(0x45
20240), SCALAR(0x53352f0), 168) called at /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/522/lib64/perl5/cpanel_lib/Archive/Zip/Member.pm
line 832 Archive::Zip::Member::readChunk(Archive::Zip::NewFileMember=HASH(0x4520240), 32768) called at /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/522/lib64/perl5/cpanel_lib/Archive/Zip/Member.pm
line 1094 Archive::Zip::Member::_writeData(Archive::Zip::NewFileMember=HASH(0x4520240), IO::File=GLOB(0x451ea10)) called at /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/522/lib64/perl5/cpanel_lib/Archive/Zip/Member.pm
line 1062 Archive::Zip::Member::_writeToFileHandle(Archive::Zip::NewFileMember=HASH(0x4520
240), IO::File=GLOB(0x451ea10), 1, 16772653) called at /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/522/lib64/perl5/cpanel_lib/Archive/Zip/Archive.p
m line 420 Archive::Zip::Archive::writeToFileHandle(Archive::Zip::Archive=HASH(0x19bcf18), IO::File=GLOB(0x451ea10)) called at /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/522/lib64/perl5/cpanel_lib/Archive/Zip/Archive.p
m line 456 Archive::Zip::Archive:ShockedverwriteAs(Archive::Zip::Archive=HASH(0x19bcf18), "/home/sg120/public_html/cgi-bin/yabb2/Backups/backup.14631509"...) called at ./Admin/Backup.pm line 973 main::BackupMethodFinalize("bo_mem_mes_var_upld", 1) called at ./Admin/Backup.pm line 761 main::runbackup called at AdminIndex.pl line 131 main::yymain() called at AdminIndex.pl line 89 eval {...} called at AdminIndex.pl line 89

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #44 - May 13th, 2016 at 3:19pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Monni wrote on May 13th, 2016 at 2:52pm:
mber.pm line 60
Huh?

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #45 - May 13th, 2016 at 3:33pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 13th, 2016 at 3:19pm:
Monni wrote on May 13th, 2016 at 2:52pm:
mber.pm line 60
Huh?

Your YaBB forum doesn't like directory separators...

usr
local
cpanel
3rdparty
perl
lib64
perl5
cpanel_lib
Archive
Zip
NewFileMember.pm

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #46 - May 13th, 2016 at 5:37pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Could the backup issue be related to:

?

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #47 - May 13th, 2016 at 5:47pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 13th, 2016 at 5:37pm:
Could the backup issue be related to:

?

I don't think so... I could get it to compress about 1 GB of data before it detached and returned CGI timeout by short-circuiting the elapsed time test to always reload after single directory.

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #48 - May 13th, 2016 at 6:23pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
That sounds like the problem I had with max_process set to default (20 sec) when running Advanced Backup on a newly installed forum with nothing in it. I to set max_process to 5 seconds to get it to trigger the javascript to kick over to the other sections. (This is on my testbed.)

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #49 - May 13th, 2016 at 6:36pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 13th, 2016 at 6:23pm:
That sounds like the problem I had with max_process set to default (20 sec) when running Advanced Backup on a newly installed forum with nothing in it. I to set max_process to 5 seconds to get it to trigger the javascript to kick over to the other sections. (This is on my testbed.)

Except I commented out the if part of the test block... Only thing it doesn't do right now is turn off maintenance mode, because that requires skipping also the reload part of the code block on last iteration...

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #50 - May 13th, 2016 at 6:51pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Advanced Backup has the same problem on my testbed.  Cry (But regular backup behaves - so far.)  Smiley

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #51 - May 13th, 2016 at 6:55pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 13th, 2016 at 6:51pm:
Advanced Backup has the same problem on my testbed.  Cry (But regular backup behaves - so far.)  Smiley

I don't know how hard it would be to modify the current backup code to split compressing large directories to chunks... so it would not timeout...

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #52 - May 13th, 2016 at 9:55pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
I think we need someone more knowledgable that I am on how zip and tar do their thing.

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #53 - May 13th, 2016 at 10:39pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 13th, 2016 at 9:55pm:
I think we need someone more knowledgable that I am on how zip and tar do their thing.

I might have 21 years experience in Perl coding but in the end I'm just a dyslexic software designer...

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #54 - May 21st, 2016 at 6:36pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
2.6.11/2.6.12 Search results has a bug related to the 'Remove' link/button as in it doesn't work - it doesn't send the correct info to ModifyMessage.

Also Topic notification has a long standing 'not exactly a bug but not logical' issue: when using the Topic Notification function from search results, you get taken to the topic instead of staying on the search results page. I don't know about you guys but I find that thoroughly annoying.

Neither of these functions are available when viewing Recent Posts/Topics and there might actually be a good reason for that...  Smiley 

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #55 - May 21st, 2016 at 7:41pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 21st, 2016 at 6:36pm:
2.6.11/2.6.12 Search results has a bug related to the 'Remove' link/button as in it doesn't work - it doesn't send the correct info to ModifyMessage.

Also Topic notification has a long standing 'not exactly a bug but not logical' issue: when using the Topic Notification function from search results, you get taken to the topic instead of staying on the search results page. I don't know about you guys but I find that thoroughly annoying.

Neither of these functions are available when viewing Recent Posts/Topics and there might actually be a good reason for that...  Smiley 

I think we have enough bugs to warrant 2.6.13 before we switch to 2.7 series version numbering... If illogical feature is documented, it ceases to being a bug, since as per definition, a bug is an undocumented feature.

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #56 - May 21st, 2016 at 7:43pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
In that case it qualifies as a documented WTF.  Shocked

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #57 - May 21st, 2016 at 7:47pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Monni wrote on May 21st, 2016 at 7:41pm:
I think we have enough bugs to warrant 2.6.13 before we switch to 2.7 series version numbering

You're right on that - I've pushed the 2.7 release out a couple months until we get 2.6 sorted.

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #58 - May 21st, 2016 at 7:52pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 21st, 2016 at 7:43pm:
In that case it qualifies as a documented WTF.  Shocked

Like in the picture I posted on the another board here... First it said literal WTF and when I finished typing, it said "G-o-d-d-a-m-n b-a-n-d..." Smiley

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #59 - May 21st, 2016 at 7:55pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Something really weird is happening in this thread regarding the Modify function - currently trying to modify the most recent post brings up the 'New Topic' screen. Tryinbg to Modify other posts inserts the data from the one just newer. I'm thinking this is probably related to an earlier issue with this thread where some BAD code got in.

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #60 - May 21st, 2016 at 7:58pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
I get fifth page with no posts Wink

EDIT: I think the thread file is corrupted Wink

EDIT2: The reply counter jumps between 60 and 61.

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #61 - May 21st, 2016 at 8:05pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Running Rebuild MessageIndex looks like it fixed the problem. (Probably a mismatch between the ctb and the txt files on this thread.)

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #62 - May 21st, 2016 at 8:08pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
We'll see if it does that again...

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #63 - May 21st, 2016 at 8:12pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
I'm 99% sure it was a mismatch between the ctb and the txt files on how many posts were in the thread due to hand-editing a corrupted post and NOT running Rebuild MessageIndex afterwards.

IP Logged

Language

Min izāmō

Reply #64 - May 21st, 2016 at 8:27pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on May 21st, 2016 at 8:12pm:
I'm 99% sure it was a mismatch between the ctb and the txt files on how many posts were in the thread due to hand-editing a corrupted post and NOT running Rebuild MessageIndex afterwards.

I'm 100% sure it was due to file corruption Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn reddit Twitter Yahoo
BUGS!!!

Please type the characters exactly as they appear in the image,
without the first 2 and last 2 characters.
The characters must be typed in the same order,
and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Off Topic Comment Insert Spoiler
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 5000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: %
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry