Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) guardian bans admin (Read 4124 times)

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Rucola
Bug Finder

Mood: Adventurous
Zodiac sign: Taurus
Re: guardian bans admin
Reply #15 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 12:16pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Yes, I had to go from different to go-by clicking on the exit button, I was immediately locked 176, the problem was solved when I pulled out the nickname I created from the ban-it was banned permanently by login and then deleted, and in the lock list, it's a hole to eliminate-why banned forever for a username-machine was banned by the IP address? -it requires correction

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dandello
Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Mood: Annoyed
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Reply #16 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 3:30pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
IP bans and IP blocks are part of two completely different and unrelated systems. While you're right that a Permanent IP ban on top of an IP block in the htaccess seems redundant, many admins don't use or don't have access to htaccess for IP blocking.

Again: this is what I've pieced together: user admin at IP beginning with 176 IP-banned someone with the same IP address. Therefore the admin got IP banned. This is a known hazard.

Because the admin got IP banned and started throwing errors to the errorlog in a way that mimicked a bad bot trying to break into YaBB, that IP got autoblocked in htaccess.

And changing the exit routine for the IP banning from Profiles as you suggest will cause major issues for the Forum Moderator who does not have access to the Admin Center and does not solve the actual issue: you IP banned yourself.

The admins I've known that have accidentally banned themselves (and it does happen) have either logged in from a different IP and unbanned themselves it or contacted the YaBBForum administrators and asked one of us to log in and unban them. Not one of those admins triggered the autoblock by flooding the errorlog with errors while IP banned.

I may, when I have time, put together some code to check IP bans against the admin's IP list. But then, you're probably the first in YaBB's long history to get autoblocked by the errorlog protections after IP banning yourself.

So, no, not going to try to fix a 'bug' that that doesn't exist but does reveal you do a good emulation of a bot.

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 9:20pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
you are not there to incur-if you want to just make a common white list in the admin panel and not only when the proxy protection works, you do not understand either me or the problem with the 5 ip I came in-it's vpn in order to delete the home computer's aipi-and the problem was in the fact that I started a nickname with an admin's IP address to a person through the admin panel, then this nickname banned by login (why bans turned out to be on the ip I do not understand) -this is the most zaban and was the reason that when I was blocked by the system, the nickname I deleted was deleted in the logs it's been left out, and then on the way out I got the ka dy again ban

the problem is that created through the admin panel nickname was banned by login (neither mail nor ip), then it was removed through the admin panel, why the ban was on the ip?

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #18 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 12:47am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
The only way an IP can be banned is by a person actually banning that IP either from a member profile OR in Banning Utilities in the Admin Center.

There are 3 separate ban sections - one for user names, one for e-mail addresses, and one IP addresses. Banning an user name does not ban the IP address that user used or their e-mail address. Banning an e-mail address does not ban the user name or the IP address. Banning an IP address does not ban any user names or e-mail addresses.

Banning a user name, e-mail address, or IP address does not make changes to Guardian or htaccess files.

Deleting a member does not affect what bans are in place, nor does it make changes to Guardian or htaccess files.

Therefore: while you claim a user name was being banned, that cannot have banned their IP address UNLESS SOMEBODY CHANGED THE CODE IN THE BANNING SECTON. And if that happened, that's not YaBB's fault nor is it a bug within YaBB.

All other problems you reported, including the changes in Guardian and the htaccess file, came from banning that IP address.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 5:08am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
here at last you understand that the prohibition of the login has been banned and the IP address has been verified on my example-just the ip-ip hit the ban when you press the exit-I can understand you. I would like it so that there was no problem but it is-priage on the output of the home computer of my computer time and got into the ban because it was banned by the login forever the user whom I created with my ip from the admin panel is a problem of assembly and code just like you would not deny it

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #20 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 2:09pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
You IP banned your own IP address. But now it's MY fault because YaBB can't anticipate people doing dumb things?

Over the many years YaBB has been around, other admins have IP banned themselves but, to my knowledge, you're the first one to not only IP ban yourself but trigger the IP blocker in the errorlog. And this is not once but repeatedly.

DON'T BAN YOUR OWN IP ADDRESS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn reddit Twitter Yahoo
guardian bans admin

Please type the characters exactly as they appear in the image,
without the first 2 and last 2 characters.
The characters must be typed in the same order,
and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Off Topic Comment Insert Spoiler
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 5000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: %
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry