Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic Help please Expected migration problems on server (Read 629 times)

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Mood: Dead
Help please Expected migration problems on server
Dec 2nd, 2022 at 11:12am
Mark & QuoteQuote  

Help please Expected migration problems from servers in France to servers in the Netherlands,

Dear Dandello,

We have a problem. It turns out that my forum is running at OVH SAS in France. This hosting company has caused a lot of trouble on my forum in the past, so I want to get out of there quickly and move to servers in the Netherlands.

Mijnhost, the hoster has indicated that they left me in France because the YaBB forum software is outdated and they are afraid, that a migration will not go well.

Today a mail with.

Dear Pieszyce,
In itself that is fine. But currently your hosting package is running on a server running CentOS 7.

All our newer servers run on AlmaLinux 8. In this new OS, many older packages are no longer available, so I am not sure what this will mean for your YaBB website.

If something goes wrong, What will go wrong? Right now the YaBB forum is archive until we know exactly what to do next. No one can write on the forum.

What do you think, could this cause problems? If so, what can I do? What php can 2.6.11 go up to?

I'm standing with my back against the wall  Cry

Kind regards
Pieszyce

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dandello
Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Mood: Annoyed
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Re: Help please Expected migration problems on server
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2022 at 4:33pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Contact SMF
It was (many many moons ago) based on an early version of YaBB and the last time I checked (a couple years ago) the underlying database structure (in MySQL) was similar enough to YaBB's that a brave PHP soul could do a conversion. The trick will be to correctly convert YaBB's flatfile pipe delimited data to an ODS (LibreOffice or OpenOffice) spreadsheet and add in the column headers for the MySQL data. (MySQL and Maria DB software can directly import ODS files.)

I expect you might lose things like links to attachments but I honestly don't know.

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

I Love YaBB!

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2022 at 5:21pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Hai Dandello, how is it with the Puppy  Smiley

Thanks for your answer.

Why contact SMF?  Shocked

The issue is that the OVH SAS servers run with different software, those of my current host in the Netherlands, France CentOS 7 and Netherlands AlmaLinux 8

Is it 'n option to upgrade 2.6.11 to 2.7 first or doesn't it matter? Because basically I don't want to lose YaBB, also because of the convenience for Admin.

Attachments I have very few, it's just about the posts with text, the rest can be checked manually, that's not the point. But what does the forum structure do? That is important.

Look and with this line, "is to correctly convert YaBB's flatfile pipe-delimited data to an ODS (LibreOffice or OpenOffice) spreadsheet and add the column headers for the MySQL data." . . . . . . I'm already getting stuck because e.g., I guess e.g., also has to do with the date of Posting or am I going too far????

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dandello
Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Mood: Annoyed
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2022 at 7:35pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Puppy is fine, 99% angel and 1% hellion.

Historically, SMF has had a good number of developers. So they should be able to help with a conversion to a PHP based forum. I mentioned using Libreoffice since I already know using that software is a fairly easy way to convert flat files to a format that is compatible with mySQL & MariaDB which is the database software that PHP uses.

My fear on an OS upgrade is that they won't have Perl available for you as a user and if they do, it will be the newest version which will break YaBB.

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

I Love YaBB!

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2022 at 10:00pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
the last active converter

https://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?converters;id=44

Convert from yabb22 to SMF 2.0.19

On Google is

YaBB 2.6.11 conversion to ****
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=576598.

For me is one thing important, the posts.
Attachments, members lists, Polls, pictures etc, are NOT important, the text in the posts must be Okay because after 19 years translating and put that on the forum, must not go down.

Quote:
The trick is to correctly convert YaBB's flatfile pipe-delimited data to an ODS (LibreOffice or OpenOffice) spreadsheet and add the column headers for the MySQL data.

And that is just the problem, for me, that is Hokus Pokus know even not where to start

IP Logged

I Love YaBB!

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2022 at 11:45am
Mark & QuoteQuote  

Hai Dandello,

I forwarded your replies to the host and asked the question what is not on those new servers?

See below the answer.

Quote:
Dear Pieszyce,

Thank you for forwarding it.
Perl is indeed not available on the new servers, so that's going to cause problems.
So with that, there is a chance it won't work.
You could leave the forum online for now and in some time archive it as HTML
files and so that Perl is no longer needed.

Kind regards,
Marijn

Dandello, I don't understand what he means, does he mean I have to archive 97,933 manually?
The question is then is that possible and what after that, the forum won't work anymore.

I think it would be better to create another domain name and move the Yabb forum to another
provider, one that doesn't want to be so modern.

What do you think??

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn reddit Twitter Yahoo
Help please Expected migration problems on server

Please type the characters exactly as they appear in the image,
without the first 2 and last 2 characters.
The characters must be typed in the same order,
and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Off Topic Comment Insert Spoiler
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 10000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: %
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry