Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Getting Closer on 2.7 (Read 45326 times)

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Mood: Dead
Zodiac sign: Scorpio
Re: Getting Closer on 2.7
Reply #90 - Jun 27th, 2022 at 2:54pm

No, the hurricane was in September 2017. That's when I had my last contact with him.

if (idea == 'none') {use (manuals) && (Google | | search)}
if ($ answer == 0) {post (question)}

IP Logged

Red Barchetta

Zodiac sign: Aries
Reply #92 - Jun 27th, 2022 at 5:10pm

pyragony54 wrote on Jun 27th, 2022 at 2:54pm:
No, the hurricane was in September 2017. That's when I had my last contact with him.

Not that I really meant for this to be so drawn out, but it seems the last we heard from Jon was around 5 years ago. And as he was preparing to evacuate from the hurricane, I will guess that it is possible he lives in Florida, but not necessarily Miami. Hurricane Irma made two landfalls in Florida on September 10, one in the Keys and another one on the west coast of Florida near Marco Island. Irma then ran up the west coast of Florida and into Georgia where it weakened into a tropical storm.

Pieszyce, I'm assuming that you have already attempted to contact Jon via email, No response?

Quick Edit: Jon lives in Sarasota, Florida. The last entry in his FaceBook page was in 2018.

Florida Classics and Muscle Car Automotive Forum Administrator
IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #93 - Jun 27th, 2022 at 6:28pm

Quote:
Pieszyce, I'm assuming that you have already attempted to contact Jon via email, No response?

No response!

IP Logged

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #94 - Jun 28th, 2022 at 6:00am

Yes, exactly. On September 9, 2017 I wished him good luck and he replied to me. I don't know where he fled to after that. So it must have been Irma. This was my last contact.

Edited:
I will also try to reach JoB. If he doesn't feel like it anymore, I'll take over the Yabbforum on my server and free of charge. I have enough space.

IP Logged

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #95 - Mar 14th, 2023 at 10:18am

It looks like YaBB must have died. It is not possible for me to switch to an SMF forum. I also advise against trying to convert the data. It is possible, but not without errors and very complicated. I spent hours on it and then gave it up. The problem is also the SQL database. While it does SMF very quickly, it is also limited in size. If you ever have to set up a new forum and the database exceeds the permitted size, it can only be restored with Docker. If you can't do that, you've already lost. Well, no one knows what's next. I messaged JonB but no response. I would take over the entire YaBB forum. I have more than enough space on the server.

At the moment I'm in the process of making YaBB 2.6.12 bug-free. I've already posted some here on the board. What I can't manage, I hope that Dandello will help me.

Now I'm wondering, do we even need YaBB 2.7? Do we even need a SQL database? Flat file is significantly more secure.

From me comes a clear "NO".

I will soon adapt the help files (YaBB 2.6.12) for the German language. For YaBB 2.7 I finished them long ago, just haven't uploaded them anymore. Unfortunately a lot of work for nothing.

PS: If you run your own server, you should switch your name servers to Cloudflare. This way you can reach an enormous speed and you don't need a database.

IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #96 - Mar 14th, 2023 at 12:07pm

YaBB is indeed dead,  Cry Cry because even people who have problems are no longer helped and do not even get answers.

Also the ex -SMF guy does not exist anymore, everyone just NOT exists anymore considering the questions with no responses. For me, 18 years of forum work has broken down and I'm angry about that.

We set up a totally new SMF forum with our team, with the main old posts in sub boards. Convert 2.6.12? There is no converter for that. Help can be given but I have already seen amounts of over $600 come by.  SMF I started on the advice of the host and they said nothing about the SQL.database. We'll see, am already at that age, that if it fails again I won't undertake anything more in terms of forums and finish my book.

If in two years a new good YaBB would be set up with the guarantee of permanent support I would switch back to YaBB, if only for the ease of use in the Admin section. But from SMF to yet another forum like BBphp? NEVER!

Too bad that people who put their heart and soul into a forum are abandoned like that.

Pyragony54 I never had any training for working with a PC, IT or whatever, learned everything myself. I am done with that now, hence the path chosen. The co-founder of the forum emailed me,that had he known this would happen he would have chosen a forum at the time where certainty of support was permanent, if necessary by buying a forum....

I will continue to follow you and wish you good luck

Greetings

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Awards: 1
Who Knows
Mood: Blessed
Reply #97 - Mar 14th, 2023 at 5:23pm

Pieszyce wrote on Mar 14th, 2023 at 12:07pm:
YaBB is indeed dead,  Cry  Cry because ...

Edited:
Pieszyce wrote on Mar 14th, 2023 at 12:07pm:
YaBB is indeed dead,  Wink Wink

Pieszyce wrote on Mar 14th, 2023 at 7:01pm:
Why did you change the smileys in the quote?

Just so you know, I didn't change the smilies until this edit (see your original quote above).

I used the Mark and Quote feature. I didn't realize that there's a glitch in this forum while using that feature (at least in Preview mode).  Smiley

Interesting. Sorry about that. I guess I should have duplicated your smilies as follows:

Cry Cry

Ah, good. That worked. As such, I corrected the glitch above in your quote because it should of course be accurate. Thank you for letting me know so that I could fix it. I appreciate it.  Smiley

As I believe you may already know, shortly after YaBB 1.0 was released, there was a 2nd program written in 2001 called YaBB SE 1, and that "YaBB SE split off from the YaBB SE team" back in 2003. "On September 30, 2003, the first "YaBB SE/SMF" product, SMF 1.0 Beta 1a, was released."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Machines_Forum

YaBBers like us, however, stayed with YaBB because we preferred it. Back then, some of us who were active on the now defunct YaBB Support Forum realized that it likely wouldn't be sustainable because there was no democratic structure to maintain its integrity.

That's to say, that forum was operated as a private operation rather than a quasi-public one, which is why it wasn't uncommon for members to be temporarily, or permanently suspended for obviously personal reasons. That's about the time that many members switched over to SMF when there was still an effectly working converter.

Because I spoke out about the unacceptable, and inexplicable censoring that was going on, I was temporarily suspended a couple of times from the YaBB Support Forum. However, like others who were suspended, we still had access thanks to supporters who shared a handful of generic usernames.

In any case, that was the beginning of the end for YaBB as we knew it. Had it not been for Dandello's creation of this YaBB Development & Mods Forum, which I've always considered to be a true extension of the original YaBB Support Forum given her public record of supporting YaBB, and all of the help that she's offered over the years, I suppose that YaBB could otherwise be considered dead.

Nonetheless, YaBB forums still exist. I still prefer using YaBB. I'll continue to use it until it stops working.

As I've mentioned before, though, and in the order of my personal preference, I have a phpBB forum as well as a SMF forum that are operational if either one is needed. Frankly, however, I've really only used the YaBB forum as an extra way to organize content versus having it serve as social media.

Things change, and that's okay.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2023 at 6:53pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #98 - Mar 14th, 2023 at 6:01pm

As I already wrote, I don't really need YaBB 2.7. YaBB 2.6.12 runs very stable and it will not crash. Almost 500,000 entries and almost 50,000 topics are probably the best proof. The forum runs very fast thanks to Cloudflare's nameservers and will continue to do so in the future.

If you really need help, feel free to contact me.

IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #99 - Mar 14th, 2023 at 7:01pm

I put THEM  Cry Cry  in the text because I feel sad about the way everything ends, 18 years I worked with YaBB and really liked it, but now there were problems with videos, only You Tube went well, the rest did not. Dandelloo knew that but had no solution.

Furthermore, I can tell you that I am aware of everything, because I already worked with Yabb in 2004, was a member of the YaBB Support Forum, had contact with Ene Lee, JonB who installed the first version for me against payment, Spikecity who my contact was because of our nationality. I was there when you spoke out against what was wrong. I was ONLINE at the time, I made contact asking to respect your opinion, but they didn't want that. So I am aware of everything, including that a Dutchman, a Groningen man named Hemel stubbornly stopped. I always said, the beginning of the end was caused by him. Even Spike agreed.

So I'm not going to answer the rest because it makes no sense.

Since I had bugs and problems with version 2.6.12 and my question to Dandelloo to install 2.7 but didn't answer, our team switched to the new system (Won't name the name) I've done that with many reluctantly, but because no one could or wanted to help me with the news videos (important to me) it became a new forum.
I still have a full backup of the old one, but I don't know if I still feel like going back since the new one already has over 2,500 posts.

If I hadn't received an email from pyragony54 about HIS forum and how far along it was, we probably wouldn't even be writing here today.

Furthermore, everyone has their own way of using a Yabb forum, one as a social medium, me to post translated news, without having to start an extra medium.

This is now My Beloved YaBB forum, https://forum.polenforum.nl/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl . As you can see a dead Horse.

Have a nice day, I'll leave it at that.

IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #100 - Mar 14th, 2023 at 7:16pm

pyragony54 wrote on Mar 14th, 2023 at 6:01pm:
As I already wrote, I don't really need YaBB 2.7. YaBB 2.6.12 runs very stable and it will not crash. Almost 500,000 entries and almost 50,000 topics are probably the best proof. The forum runs very fast thanks to Cloudflare's nameservers and will continue to do so in the future.

If you really need help, feel free to contact me.

Hi,

From June 2022, I sent you at least 5 PBs asking how far along you were and if you could help me restore the video capabilities so that I could embed all videos and not just YT.

Given that I got no response, not even responses on Dandelloo's forum. That was the trigger that made the Poland forum team decide to switch to the new system.

As written, I have a complete backup of YaBB from November 2022, but I don't think the team will want to go back again and help me transfer the already over 2,500 new post again.

I think they will say to me Too LATE, I also still do not understand why more registered members of this forum are not responding to what is happening.

Regards
Pieszyce

« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2023 at 11:46am by Pieszyce »  

IP Logged

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #101 - Mar 15th, 2023 at 2:08pm

Pieszyce wrote on Mar 14th, 2023 at 7:16pm:
From June 2022, I sent you at least 5 PBs asking how far along you were and if you could help me restore the video capabilities so that I could embed all videos and not just YT.

If I could have, I would have helped you. I solved the problem in another way. Simply put it in the forum via a coppermine gallery and then an icon. That works fine.

https://coppermine-gallery.net/

Sure, you're right, there are still errors, but I can't solve them myself, only a coder can do that and that's not me. Incidentally, I was a moderator in the YaBB forum, although I actually only looked after the German-speaking ones and I even went so far as to install the forum for the members and that without money. I was simply convinced of YaBB. Nobody warned me that it would end like this. I'm pissed off myself, but I'm still trying to make the best of it as far as I can.

I admit that I also toyed with the idea of doing something with SMF. They still don't have a German language website, but YaBB does, at least in the YaBB forum. However, what's stopping me is the SQL database. While this makes the forum a little faster, it is limited. Wait what happens when you have 500000 in 50000 threads and you have to reset the forum. Have fun, I'm done. Since flat file is much easier.

I just play that up, rebuild the topic index and that's it. So why should I open up more work in this direction? Sure, I can understand Dandello too, she puts in a lot of work and gets nothing for it. But is money everything? Everyone has to decide the question for themselves.

However, what I miss with YaBB is a mobile template. Maybe I can persuade Dandello to do one.

IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #102 - Mar 15th, 2023 at 5:25pm

Hi,

We had coppermine 10 years ago, always caused conflicts, so we stopped doing that.

We were also convinced of YaBB, if we hadn't been, we would have switched 15 years ago when the rumbling with Hemel and others started, beating a dead horse is a lot of work.

SMF not German? And this then? https://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?languages;id=21

A very good friend of ours in the US also has a forum, was close to 500,000 and then decided with his team to delete everything that was nonsense and not important in the forum, important things have been moved to a shadow forum and put on the originally contains two lines of text and a link to the shadow forum. But I'm not worried about that, before I reach 100,000 again we will be at least 4 years later and for me it's time to stop.

But now I have another problem. In 2011, my new host hosted my forum at OVH SAS in Roubaix France, without my knowledge. Since this company caused too much turmoil and I had to block every time scipting through them, I demanded from my host that I migrate to the Netherlands with all the websites I have.

You can, but on their own servers they don't accept CGI-Bin and Perl, so that's another problem to continue with YaBB. OVH now has a Cloud, well I really don't want to sit there any more, as also with Cloudflare. The last one I had for 2 years, but the way they work, caused regular outages, downtimes off 2 days and spam attacks, is easy to block with YaBB, but rather not.

So I think I'll unsubscribe here soon, because I can't use it anymore, first wait and see what a wealthy friend of ours is researching, my own server where and my sites and forum are on it. But that will take a while.

Greetings  Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Who Knows
Reply #103 - Mar 15th, 2023 at 6:58pm

Just so you know, I didn't change the smilies in your quote. I used the Mark and Quote feature.

I didn't realize that there's a glitch in this forum while using that feature (at least in Preview mode).  Smiley

Please see the EDIT in my post in which I manually corrected that glitch. Thank you.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Who Knows
Reply #104 - Mar 15th, 2023 at 7:20pm

I put THEM  Cry Cry in the text because I feel sad about the way everything ends, 18 years I worked with YaBB and really liked it, but now there were problems with videos, only You Tube went well, the rest did not.

I understand. I felt sad about it all, too. Cry

The thing is, I'm one of those the glass is half full kind of people, which is why I choose to stick with YaBB even when I also had some issues with it (including issues with videos, which I worked out on my own).

After all, from my generally positive point of view, YaBB was always superior in regard to the way that I used it; better than any of the other forums out there for me personally. It didn't need to literally be the best; just the best for me. Even if the YaBB forum I still operate stopped working today, and I'm unable to fix it, it had an amazing 21+ year run.

If or when it does stop working, I'll adapt just as I have with everything else that's become obsolete over the years. Change isn't always easy to accept even when that change is good. But change is inevitable.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 
Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn reddit Twitter Yahoo