Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Getting Closer on 2.7 (Read 45303 times)

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Mood: Dead
Re: Getting Closer on 2.7
Reply #45 - May 24th, 2022 at 6:59pm

@ Mr. Myers

I am not talking about now, six months ago, but about a much longer period when that FACT was noted that there were attempts to attack MySQL which thus failed in Yabb, but succeeded in my great friends phpBB forum. IP in the attack was the same.

One of my actions was to block entire countries by IP and especially those famous for their pursuits. Similarly, I banned Gmail.com, people with this mail extension could only register through me. REASON, because out of 100 attackers 85% did so through a Gmail address. Etc, etc.

But Mr. Myers, that is not the discussion now, nor is it relevant, because you have indicated that I am wrong . . and to me that is Fine, my friend and I know the problems he had at the time.

Further, if anyone makes an attempt, no matter how small, the entire Owner CIDR goes into ban, if there is a member in there then they go into the White list.

Here I will leave it at that, as this part is not important for me to elaborate.

More important is, will there ever be a successor to YaBB 2.7. for example a 3. Because I do not wish to saddle my successors with problems. Even if I would install 2.7 now the question is HOW long, will it run well and is there support for problems.

A question I should answer, but can't because I don't know, but still get asked is: Why did they at the time when many YaBB developers left, just stop, c.q. switch to another system. They could have then helped people who were using Yabb to switch over and there would have been no misery now.  Cry Cry

IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #46 - May 24th, 2022 at 7:05pm

pyragony54 wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 1:57pm:
Pieszyce wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 11:27am:
It was only a remark, because of the fact, that friends of my, did have problems with phpBB en I not, wiht the same IP's.

But I understand you.

I can't imagine that now. I had installed an SMF before. Same IP as YaBB. I had no problems. I always say to myself that most of the problems are usually 40 cm in front of the screen.

Thank you    Sad

So, with the main system administrator of one of the largest banks in the Netherlands as a good friend, that will be fine.  Kiss

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Awards: 1
Who Knows
Mood: Blessed
Zodiac sign: Aries
Reply #47 - May 24th, 2022 at 8:03pm

Pieszyce wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 6:59pm:
A question I should answer, but can't because I don't know, but still get asked is: Why did they at the time when many YaBB developers left, just stop, c.q. switch to another system. They could have then helped people who were using Yabb to switch over and there would have been no misery now.  Wink Wink

Before I get to that, and with due respect, you brought the matter of security up, which is why I addressed it. And again, you're referencing anecdotal evidence; not factual evidence that actually addresses how good YaBB's security is versus the superior security of other well established chat forum software.

Facts matter.

To that point, it's a fact that YaBB hasn't had a reliable team of developers for many years. Quite frankly, without Dandello, YaBB's development, and support would have most surely ceased altogether.

To remind you, not long after there was an exodus of developers, YaBB was effectively forked over to SMF. Subsequently, SMF Converters were made available to help people switch over from YaBB to SMF.

Quote:
YaBB/YaBB SE

Support for the YaBB and YaBB SE converters (all versions of YaBB).

Click/tap the quote above, or the following link:

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=135.

To be blunt about it, and in retrospect, I evidently made the wrong decision to keep using YaBB. What I should have done was switch when I had the opportunity. Then again, I've had a nice long 20-plus years with YaBB, and as I keep my fingers crossed, I hope to have many more years ahead. Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #48 - May 24th, 2022 at 10:28pm

Mr. Myers

In the beginning, I still had contact with one of the developers, because as a rookie, I sometimes got stuck. I regret my computer crash of 2006, where all discussions between them and me from before were stored. In the Credits on my forum are names that had their own folder on that PC, with the conversations, by the way I miss one Lee in that list, don't remember if that was his first or last name, I thought the last name, but he helped me a number of times with the language problems I had back then.

Ron Hartendorp, @spikecity, lived less than two miles walking distance from me and after first contact through the community forum, later also directly and by phone until he left us. He taught me the most. I have also called my good friend who had the problem with phpBB at the time, and if he will see if there still the conversation between him and me on the topic on one of his external drives is. But he's in Sydney for 4 months now I have to wait.

You don't have to go far into it for me, because as long as my friend can't provide any texts, I for my part will stop discussing this topic with you. The comment, "Facts are important" says your opinion of my assertion and that is all I need.

Dandello is a wonderful woman, to whom I am very much indebted because of her help, if it were not for her, I would have stopped the total discussion earlier. However, I have a lot of respect for her.

Thanks for your SMF link, but I have 3 A4 full of links like that.

What I will do next I don't know yet, probably hand over the leadership to someone else and far just do my normal work. They may decide.

Apologies for the inconvenience, but I'll stop the discussion with you here, because people who call me a liar in disguise are quickly finished with me.

@ Dandello,

when my comments come across as unpleasant, you can delete my posts. I don't want to tarnish your forum.  Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Who Knows
Reply #49 - May 24th, 2022 at 11:23pm

Pieszyce wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 10:28pm:
Apologies for the inconvenience, but I'll stop the discussion with you here, because people who call me a liar in disguise are quickly finished with me.

To be clear, I didn't call you a liar any more than you called me a liar, so there's no need to take offense. Anecdotal evidence aside, you simply had the facts wrong about which forum software was, and is superior.

And again, this could be a matter of language barriers.

In any case, like you, I have thousands of links that will go bad if YaBB fails on me because those links go to topics in the forum. But that's the nature of forums that are no longer developed, and supported. That comes with the territory of operating websites, which requires one to adapt as needed.

YaBB lost its footing many years ago when moderators on the support forum made it difficult if not impossible to offer constructive criticism about its development. Ironically, some of your criticisms here on Dandello's forum about YaBB's development, or lack thereof, were many of the same criticisms that a core group of us YaBB supporters posted for discussion.

It's no wonder that so many people moved over to embrace SMF, which was a fork of YaBB, but with better software overall (as I referenced in Reply #34).

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Mood: Annoyed
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Reply #50 - May 25th, 2022 at 12:44am

I'm going to try to make this clear - as far as I could see, no one was lying. A difference in experience and opinion is not a lie.

Why do people believe YaBB is hacker resistant?

1: It's a program with a very small number of users which makes it unrewarding for hackers to spend a lot of effort on hacking into it.

2: The people who ported the Guardian code into Perl for YaBB did a phenomenal job - it still works. I periodically have to clean out the file where the bad stuff Guardian caught gets stored. And it catches a lot of bad stuff.

and 3: at a time when PHP was notorious for security issues, YaBB wasn't written in PHP.

Among the reasons that some things in YaBB that used to work and don't now? Perl, server software AND the server operating system software has gotten more and more security conscious AND the people who used to update the Perl Modules that older versions of YaBB used are no longer updating those add-on Modules. (Which is why some of the older YaBB email selections (like TLS) no longer work.)

Sendmail has gotten more security conscious and complex over time. PHP has kept up with their integration with SendMail - Perl hasn't. In point of fact, I have a client who has a custom storefront where the backend is Perl. We have to use PHP's email code to properly send data to and from PayPal - The Perl version of the code that was needed didn't work. (Because Paypal hadn't updated that code in YEARS.)

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Zodiac sign: Scorpio
Reply #51 - May 25th, 2022 at 7:18am

I've probably started a discussion here that I didn't want to do at all.

@ Pieszyce

Nobody calls you a liar here. If you report a bug that I don't see, I can't help either. What I need for this I have already written and I will not repeat myself.
Then I only use words like the famous 40 cm in front of the screen. The wink with the fence post, as they say in Germany. I can't fix an error that I can't understand either. This has nothing to do with lying. In the forums that I am still in charge of here in Germany, and there are quite a few, I have already experienced the greatest installations and people were surprised that errors occurred that shouldn't really exist. The best thing I've experienced here, a YaBB installation directly into the root. I asked for FTP access, got access, to no avail, no connection. I phoned the server operator and that's when the error came out.
He gave me the data for the SFTP. He didn't even have FTP access. Was that why he lied to me? No! He didn't know any better. Again the famous 40 cm.

So and now I'm going to be a little angry. You certainly mean Jet Li aka Jeffrey Man. The way he said goodbye to YaBB is unworthy and lacking in character. He simply deleted important pages from YaBB (such as Boardmod.org and also the Yabbforum). At least one backup was available for the forum. Boadmod.org is in Nirvana forever. He wanted YaBB to die in a more than inglorious way. Many people had set up forums on his shared server, which suddenly went nirvana. Only a pig can make such an exit. If I had any questions when I was starting out, Jet Li always looked at me from above. He did the same with others. So I'm not the only one. This is what made me decide to learn by myself and I always got involved with the subject as far as my horizon allowed. Learned to deal with servers by always questioning myself. At that time I was already 58 years young, so 10 years ago. The word give up doesn't exist in my vocabulary. When I started something, I finished it, even if it pushed the limits of my substance.

But back to Jet Li. yes, I openly call him by name. The intention was probably to make money. Let's go from the mod "Who is where". A mod developed by XTC. This mod was suddenly only available for a payment (I remember 20 €). I informed XTC (we both speak German) about this. XTC informed me that the relationship with Jet Li had long since fallen asleep. Again and again he incorporated mods from XTC, although he was not authorized to do so. When I reported to XTC about this dubious machinations regarding the mod, they immediately started rewriting "Who is where" that it was available again for YaBB 2.6 and for free. There were also one or two other developers involved who are no longer there. We also don't know if Jet Li has incorporated any spyware. The assumption is obvious, we cannot prove it (in case of doubt for the accused). Conclusion: Humanly speaking, Jet Li was just a human ......... in my eyes. Now he can sue me. By the time he wins this lawsuit of defamation, I'll be "six feed under".

Hence my call to Dandello again. Let's make YaBB 2.6.12 bug free and it's good. Then 2.7 no longer appears.

if (idea == 'none') {use (manuals) && (Google | | search)}
if ($ answer == 0) {post (question)}

IP Logged

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #52 - May 25th, 2022 at 7:25am

Pieszyce wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 10:28pm:
when my comments come across as unpleasant, you can delete my posts.

Every message is legitimate. There is no reason to delete these. It would be bad if I was no longer allowed to express my opinion publicly, regardless of whether it was justified or not. You can then talk about it without looking down on anyone.

Pieszyce wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 7:05pm:
So, with the main system administrator of one of the largest banks in the Netherlands as a good friend, that will be fine.

And I have learned that even the best administrator sits only 40 cm in front of the screen.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2022 at 8:50am by pyragony54 »  

IP Logged

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #53 - May 25th, 2022 at 8:32am

Dandello wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 2:58pm:
Later today I will check what's in the SVN to confirm that it's good.

I loaded the latest version of 2.7 from SVN. Setup, password entry "admin" next page. Let it fill in automatically and Submit. The server went into an infinite loop. The utilization went to 100% and was therefore in the red area. Coppermine gallery and forum were no longer accessible. It was only possible to abort by resetting the server.

The Path.pm was written, I don't know if it's correct. The settings.pm was not created. I hope this helps you further. In any case, the server could only be reached again after a restart, since that killed the loop.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Who Knows
Reply #54 - May 25th, 2022 at 11:01am

Dandello wrote on May 25th, 2022 at 12:44am:
I'm going to try to make this clear - as far as I could see, no one was lying. A difference in experience and opinion is not a lie.

Exactly.

In regard to security issues, and problems with things in YaBB that no longer work, thank you for the information you provided. In part, it illustrates why Yabb can really only expand its user footprint if, or when development of its software is updated on a regular basis.

I'm reminded of the first iPad that I purchased, which was the first model ever made. It still works (I continue to play chess on it), but like other older models that I purchased over the years, software updates were shuttered years ago to make it obsolete.

It's the same story with laptops that I've purchased over the years, and desktops as well. Or record players, cassette tape recorders, VCRs, TVs, etc.

Things change.

IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #55 - May 25th, 2022 at 12:42pm

@ Dandello

Quote:
2: De mensen die de Guardian-code naar Perl voor YaBB hebben geporteerd, hebben fenomenaal werk geleverd - het werkt nog steeds. Ik moet regelmatig het bestand opschonen waarin de slechte dingen die Guardian heeft gevangen, worden opgeslagen. En het vangt veel slechte dingen op.

Yes indeed. What I do is, when someone's IP is reported as a problem, I look for the Owner CIDR: in https://myip.ms/ and post it in its entirety and in numerical order, manually in the Guardian.
It works perfectly

IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #56 - May 25th, 2022 at 1:20pm

@ pyragony54

Quote:
No one is calling you a liar here

If you don't mind I will continue with YaBB, my person is less important.  Smiley

I too once had Yabb directly in the root, but it caused problems, I asked Dandella for help and she then created a folder "forum" and installed everything in there and fixed it. Attacks kept coming, mostly from Ru or CN, but I know how to deal with that.

Getting angry is bad for your heart, I try to avoid that as much as possible. Yes right away, indeed it was Jet Li, who helped me a few times with the language problems in languages, that was around 2005 -2006 I think. He never asked me for money, other developers did, but that's a past thing, so no point in writing about it.

How he left I don't know at all. Nor how the whole thing fell apart and everyone disappeared. Given my contacts with Spikecity, I came little on the community and after his passing, I had a forum member, who knew his way around YaBB, had his own server and tested everything there first.
This man, however, left me due to busyness (now traveling throughout Europe) and so I had to look for myself again. The discovery hit me like a bomb and my first reaction was, I quit.
Learning by yourself is possible, but you must have good concentration and memory. Then it is difficult to learn.

Maybe it is indeed best to make YaBB 2.6.12. bug free and continue with it.

For me the choice is not difficult, my forum is a country forum with Poland as main country and further on the Baltic States and the rest of Eastern and Central Europe.
The proposal of the team was . . . . when YaBB gets too many bugs and working with it becomes difficult, to start a totally new forum in SMF and strip the YaBB forum of less important things and leave the rest stable as Archive for reference. History is timeless, I can repost that on the new forum, leave things that are subject to change and put the rest of the news,(sometimes 14 articles a day from sometimes 6 languages) on a new forum. They think this would be best, because they are the ones who will have to take over later.

But if YaBB 2.6.12 becomes bug free, I will just continue there and let them create another setup themselves.

So, and now back to work. I'5 hours too late  Wink

IP Logged

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Reply #57 - May 25th, 2022 at 3:12pm

@ Pieszyce

somehow you misunderstood. Jet Li has not asked anyone for money. He was only asking for money for a mod that he didn't own, that he had no rights to commercialize. The rights lay here with XTC. It wasn't until I asked him about it that he got snotty towards me. I didn't put up with that either. Then came the day when Jet Li ingloriously threw in the towel and we had written off YaBB. Jet Li wanted to kill YaBB. That was his full intention. All YaBB pages were deleted, YaBB was no longer accessible. Only those who have evil in their thoughts do such things. But you all know that yourself.

But then Dandello came and new hope sprouted.

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Mood: Annoyed
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Reply #58 - May 25th, 2022 at 11:00pm

And after that last Perl/server upgrade here, YaBB 2.7 won't install due to a 'deep recursion' error.

The good news is once I took out the added anti-hacker code that was causing the problem, it installed without any problems. My bet is that this was the problem causing the endless loop that was reported. Hopefully I'll be able to push these changes to the SVN tomorrow.

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Reply #59 - May 26th, 2022 at 12:16am

Thanks Dandello,

As Always, you are great.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn reddit Twitter Yahoo