Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Getting Closer on 2.7 (Read 45297 times)

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Mood: Dead
Re: Getting Closer on 2.7
Reply #105 - Mar 19th, 2023 at 3:53pm

Welcome to the club, I have the same half-full glass.  Wink

The problem is, you don't understand what MY problem is. My forum contains translated news about Poland and actually about all countries in Central and Eastern Europe, I translate articles 13 hours a day about what happens there, from Polish to Dutch. Discussions are few these days, now that everyone has a smarttphone because the keys are too small for long posts so people prefer not to write too much. I am a desktop guy and will never change that.

Since YaBB forums are now at risk of failing, it is untenable and too much of a risk for me to continue with that software, because I could suddenly lose EVERYTHING. Also what was on the forum as history. 18 years of information is now 80% stored on the PC via a backup the rest is on a forum with other software. From that 80% we are going to grind html pages and place them in a kind of library, unimportant news is deleted. If YaBB had NOT stopped, I would not have had to do this now, as this is extra and very much work.

Converters are not there, otherwise I would have used them. If one wants help, some ask for a fortune.  Angry

Quote:
If or when it does stop working, I'll adapt just as I have with everything else that's become obsolete over the years. Change isn't always easy to accept even when that change is good. But change is inevitable.

This is very easily said, you should say that to a city library one day when it is totally burned down.
Oh, I certainly know what change can mean. After 20 years of municipal politics as a city councilman and alderman, I have experienced enough change.

However, a forum with the work I do there is totally different. I just can't access and edit a huge amount of posts down through the forum, as said over 18 years of translation work and historiography on Poland gone. It exists only in a backup. THAT Mr. Myers is MY reason for complaining. Your forums I do not know, my forum has a team of people working on it and every day, two have already left because their work is no longer visible. NOW my host no longer wants Perl on his server it is all over and out. Oh yes, sure, I can get another host. But with the uncertainty of whether YaBB will remain stable for the first 10 years, that's a change risk. Not EVERY CHANGE IS AN IMPROVEMENT.

I'll leave it at this.

I wish you continued enjoyment  Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Awards: 1
Who Knows
Mood: Blessed
Zodiac sign: Aries
Reply #106 - Mar 19th, 2023 at 8:15pm

From my perspective, it seems that you're headed in the right direction when it comes to your dilemma with YaBB.

The information that I have in the YaBB forum that I operate is hardly important since it's just an entertainment portal that's specific to one production, i.e., it's simply being used as reference points. The sudden loss of that forum wouldn't shutter the production even though it would be an unwanted, and major inconvenience.

In your case, all of that translated news about Poland, including all countries in Central and Eastern Europe seems to be very important information. I'm glad that you have backups of it all; at least 80% of it.

Regarding the backup you have of YaBB on your PC, I hope it's not just the actual YaBB backup. In other words, I hope it's a backup of your actual files. My preference is to use WinSCP for my backups. Flat files have the advantage of being searchable, which can be very helpful.

By the way, like you, even though I'm on my cell phone a lot, I'm a desktop guy. That's my preference. I think a lot of people are that way even though the stats I've seen over the years show that websites are mostly accessed by smart phones. Of course, as you pointed out, discussions are few these days because the keys are too small for long posts.

Luckily, though, pinching & resizing a smart phone's screen makes reading a YaBB forum pretty easy to do. It's not mobile ready like phpBB or SMF are, but it's not that big of a deal for me.

Pieszyce wrote on Mar 19th, 2023 at 3:53pm:
This is very easily said, you should say that to a city library one day when it is totally burned down.

Ironically, your example of a city library burning down is exactly what happened to the Central Library in downtown Los Angeles in 1986. I remember it well. That fire damaged more than one million books. The library was closed for seven years. Particularly for the employees, it was a devastating loss. A lof them suffered anxiety, and depression because they were no longer serving the public.

There's an African proverb that says, "When an old man dies, a library burns to the ground."

I realize this won't be much of a consolation to you, but a lot of webmasters administered their entire websites through their YaBB forums. When that software failed, or when it became obsolete, and inoperable, their websites were effectively shuttered.

The solution? Create a new index page, explain what happened, and tell your website's visitors to stay tuned.

For me personally, a setback like losing a YaBB forum will inspire me to change operations for the better. I won't like it, and I'll surely complain like you're rightfully doing, but my intention will be to continue to see the glass as half full.

You seem to be the kind of person who figures things out. After all, you've already come up with solutions to your dilemma with YaBB. Smiley

Take care.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Pieszyce

I Love YaBB!

Mood: Dead
Reply #107 - Mar 19th, 2023 at 9:18pm

Quote:
I realize this won't be much of a consolation to you, but a lot of webmasters administered their entire websites through their YaBB forums. When that software failed, or when it became obsolete, and inoperable, their websites were effectively shuttered.

My websites are separate from YaBB. For the websites I have wordpress and discussions are not possible there, that is closed, is also different news on it than I post on the forum. So that's just the problem. I use everything separated to avoid this, the bolded in the quote, more work but safer. Cool

Quote:
The solution? Create a new index page, explain what happened, and tell your website's visitors to stay tuned.

That new Index https://forum.polenforum.nl/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl has been around since December 2022. That's the modified index from the emptied forum, after I made the backup and had another backup made by the host (his last one), which he sent me as a rar. Smiley

I can see it, I'm now going to spend a few weeks solidly translating and working on the Html library, but the original backups will last forever, after all, you never know, won't be the first time a developer group quit and revert to something from the past to improve it.

Good luck and so long

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Who Knows
Reply #108 - Mar 23rd, 2023 at 5:05pm

Pieszyce wrote on Mar 19th, 2023 at 9:18pm:
Good luck and so long

Thank you for your update. I always appreciate feedback from other YaBB users. It's very helpful. Smiley

IP Logged

Batchman

I Love YaBB!

Mood: Depressed
Zodiac sign: Libra
Reply #109 - Aug 9th, 2023 at 4:11pm

I, too, have a more than 20 year history with YaBB. Somewhere in the last year, my last forum went dark. I don't even know why. One day it was working, the next day it was throwing up 500 errors.

I complained to my hosting company (I hadn't touched any of the code in more than a decade, so it wasn't a change on my side. It had to be something they had changed on their perl install or something like that.)

On the negative side, they had no belief that anything had changed in their servers. On the positive side, they went out and got a copy of the latest release YaBB software, installed it, and moved all of the messages of my forum over, which is FAR above and beyond the expected level of support on a cheap (something like $5 a month hosting plan) server place. Unfortunately, it had none of the mods that made my forum home to me, and many of them were not available on the newest release, which is why I wasn't using it.

But to a great extent, forums are not used nearly as much as they once were, and I have to admit my forum was dead long before it died. Had been a year since the last post, and in the year prior it probably got 6 or 7 posts for the whole year.

Many fond memories for many great people! Still wish Carsten a yearly birthday wish, but fond thoughts for those who have passed, or who've just fallen out of contact!

If you don't know where you are, but you don't care, you're not lost ... you're exploring!

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Who Knows
Since you mentioned Carsten ...
Reply #110 - Sep 19th, 2023 at 12:22am

Batchman wrote on Aug 9th, 2023 at 4:11pm:
... fond thoughts for those who have passed, or who've just fallen out of contact!

Since you mentioned Carsten, I sadly read the following post that was made by his son Morten that Carsten passed away on October 21, 2020.

https://www.facebook.com/dalgaard.carsten/posts/4983019858405090?ref=embed_post

I don't think I knew that Carsten had passed away until February 18, 2022. That's when I shared on my own Facebook page one of the last three posts that Carsten made before his death. I always loved his droll sense of humor, and that post made me laugh.

https://www.facebook.com/BillHMyers/posts/pfbid0d3WBFxLt9Dfb4VWB1oHdeJXHRpECJLEF...

It was probably then that I noticed a post made by Corey Chapman in that same thread that gave condolences to Carsten's son Morten who in turn posted a reply to Carsten.

Rest in peace!

IP Logged

Derek Bullock

I Love YaBB!

Mood: Frustrated
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Re: Since you mentioned Carsten ...
Reply #111 - Nov 17th, 2023 at 11:24pm

This news came as a terrible shock to me.  I was due to visit Carsten in Denmark on my European visit. He promised me some very fine whiskey.

Very, very sad indeed

IP Logged

Remy Monsen

YaBB veteran of ancient
times

Mood: Cold
Zodiac sign: Taurus
Reply #112 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 2:14pm

Sad to hear about Carsten. I was wondering where he had gone to.

I never got to buy him that beer I owe him Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 
Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn reddit Twitter Yahoo