YaBB 2.6.0/1/11 Mods

Mood: Freaky
Zodiac sign: Aquarius
FastCGI
Mar 3rd, 2019 at 6:01am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Hello

Quote:
FastCGI is a web server extension that allows you to convert CGI programs into persistent, long-lived server-like applications. The web server spawns a FastCGI process for each specified CGI application at startup, and these processes respond to requests, until they are explicitly terminated. If you expect a certain application to be used more than others, you can also ask FastCGI to spawn multiple processes to handle concurrent requests.

There are several advantages to this approach. A typical Perl CGI application has startup overhead for each request that includes the process of spawning a process and interpreting the code. And, if the code has a lengthy initialization process, that simply adds to the overhead. A typical FastCGI application does not suffer from any of these problems. There is no extra spawning for each request, and all the initialization is done at startup. Since these applications are long-lived, they allow you to store data between requests, which is also an advantage.

Has anyone considered making the YaBB Sources FastCGI fit?

Just think  Cheesy

lg XTC

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dandello
Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Mood: Annoyed
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Re: FastCGI
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2019 at 2:09pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
I'll put it on my list of things to look at. (Unless you have time to look at it, in which case - Thanks in advance.)

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dandello
Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Mood: Annoyed
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Re: FastCGI
Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 4:00pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Okay - According to what I have gleaned from reading about how to convert scripts to FastCGI, I doubt there will be any speed savings. This has to do with the fact that YaBB doesn't use CGI.pm for anything other than processing attachments. A look at FastCGI indicates it's trying to speed up things YaBB doesn't use - CGI.pm's templating ability (which is deprecated anyway).

(And with CGI.pm's templating being deprecated, people using that are being urged to move over to newer templating software such as Mojolicious or Plack.)

All of that said, some sources concerning FastCGI appear to say it SHOULD speed things up. So I'll need to do some experimenting.

But the real speed savings will come with saving things in 'real' databases.

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn reddit Twitter Yahoo
FastCGI

Please type the characters exactly as they appear in the image,
without the first 2 and last 2 characters.
The characters must be typed in the same order,
and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Off Topic Comment Insert Spoiler
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 10000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: %
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry