Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Send Topic
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Getting Closer on 2.7 (Read 45318 times)

Dandello
Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Mood: Annoyed
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Getting Closer on 2.7
Feb 27th, 2019 at 1:44am

The 'final' version of 2.7 is getting closer. (I had to take some time away from YaBB coding so I could come back with a fresh perspective on code reviewing.)

Changes in Facebook's 'sharing' protocol has necessitated adding the OpenGraph Mod so the Facebook social bookmarks will work.

This week and next I hope to do one last code review before uploading a hopefully stable version to the SVN.

We still need some large forums for testing the Convert Utilities.

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Re: Getting Closer on 2.7
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 5:09pm

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

ProgMaster

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 9:56pm

Great news Dandello. Smiley

Many thanks.

IP Logged

ProgMaster

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2022 at 6:18pm

Hi Dandello,

The website - yabbforum.com - is offline. Is this temporary ?

Many thanks. Smiley

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2022 at 7:56pm

No idea. Smiley

IP Logged

Red Barchetta

Zodiac sign: Aries
Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 4:40am

I have not been able to connect for about a week now, but I have been having issues with my ISP (ATT) for just over a month and thought that might be my problem.

Florida Classics and Muscle Car Automotive Forum Administrator
IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 12:31pm

I wasn't able to connect last week (haven't checked today). Not an issue with my ISP. (They're innocent THIS time.)

IP Logged

Red Barchetta

Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2022 at 8:12pm

Every day I try to connect. I get:

This site can’t be reached
www.yabbforum.com took too long to respond.

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #8 - Apr 11th, 2022 at 12:12pm

I just sent an Email to Jon Baker. Hopefully the address is still good.

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2022 at 2:42pm

I have not heard back from Jon Baker.

IP Logged

Red Barchetta

Reply #10 - May 9th, 2022 at 3:11pm

Still nothing. Its not looking good.  Sad

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Awards: 1
Who Knows
Mood: Blessed
Reply #11 - May 9th, 2022 at 5:18pm

I suppose if there's good news to be had, this forum comes up first in Google search when searching "YaBB forum" with or without the quotes.  Smiley

Although inactive since 2018, the YaBB Facebook page is still up. If anybody here has admin access, it would be great to have YaBB's url address updated.  Cool

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

pyragony54
Language

I Love YaBB!

Mood: Dead
Zodiac sign: Scorpio
Reply #12 - May 19th, 2022 at 2:36pm

Hello friends of YaBB,
Personally, I'm not at all surprised that the YaBB forum isn't working anymore. First of all, I have a lot of experience with servers, since I run my own dedicated server. Actually, YaBB should run on a minimally configured virtual server, which it does when not many posts have been posted. When I installed the first YaBB forum in 2008, it was on the Xonder (XTC) server. That worked quite well when the forum was still small. But one day the pages stopped reading. XTC and I didn't find a solution at first. That was around 2010. So I had the idea to try a dedicated server and what happened, the site went through again, the forum worked again. The problem with virtual servers is simple. Many customers on one server, with a simple homepage and there are no problems. With YaBB yes. I then tried some virtual servers, no problem with a small forum, but with a large forum. The pages just don't go through and it crashes because there are just too many customers on the virtual server and everyone wants their pages to open quickly. The problem could also be solved with an SQL database, but YaBB doesn't have that and isn't really needed. Flat file is safer if you move the server. I don't want to go into more detail now, that would go beyond the scope.

I have often offered YaBB and you, Dandello, to test on my server. YaBB can also store all of its pages with me, I have enough space. We would certainly have agreed on a more than low price. There would never be any problems since I make daily backups and the server runs in RAID. But somehow you wrap the cloak of silence about it.

But what pisses me off the most is the fact that YaBB 2.7 is not being further developed. Nothing has happened for two years. For weeks I translated everything into German and in Germany there are two forms of address, so everything twice. I now have two Russian interpreters, still young, but they would translate everything into Russian. Translating the forum itself wasn't a lot of work, but the help files took a lot of time. And all for nothing.
I'll save myself from writing anything further here.

Just this much: If YaBB isn't further developed soon, I'll quit and switch to SMF. I don't want to do any more work for nothing. I'm not just mad, I'm pissed off.

if (idea == 'none') {use (manuals) && (Google | | search)}
if ($ answer == 0) {post (question)}

IP Logged

Dandello
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #13 - May 19th, 2022 at 3:40pm

Unfortunately, I don't see where I'll have time to work on YaBB at any point in the near future. (At this point in time I'm not even sure I have access to the YaBB SVN since I'm pretty sure Jon Baker was in charge of that.)

2.7 appears pretty stable - there is one glitch that I know of related to importing Global Moderator settings from VERY old forums.

Halleffect has posted some bug fixes related to Perl and Linux upgrades - many thanks to him for that.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Awards: 1
Who Knows
Mood: Blessed
Reply #14 - May 19th, 2022 at 6:07pm

pyragony54 wrote on May 19th, 2022 at 2:36pm:
Just this much: If YaBB isn't further developed soon, I'll quit and switch to SMF. I don't want to do any more work for nothing. I'm not just mad, I'm pissed off.

Thank you pyragony54 for all of the work that you've done over the years to make Yabb better. I understand why you're angry, but to be fair to Dandello, she seems to be in a tough spot when it comes to further developing YaBB.

Even if she had a lot of time to work on YaBB's development, with due respect regarding your work, I don't think it's fair for any of us to expect her to essentially do everything on her own.

I first installed a YaBB forum for one of my sites on February 11, 2002. It was installed on a dedicated server, and I only upgraded it once to the 2.4 version, which is still in operation today. That was over 20 years ago. Until recently, it worked pretty flawlessly. Unfortunately, over the last couple of months, the counting of "Views" zeroes out on numerous topics to start over again, and a number of topics become inaccessible.

Because I regularly backup/download all of YaBB's files via WinSCP, I'm able to upload the backed up associated *.ctb files so that those files are accessible again, but it's a hassle to do that whenever that kind of error is discovered.

I suspect that those errors are happening because the hard drive on my server may be failing, but I don't know that for sure. In any case, I've been experimenting with SMF as well as the phpBB forum software, both of which are robust. My tendency for quite a while was to switch to SMF, but after testing both, including how each one is updated, phpBB has been the easiest for me to use.

Keep in mind that I don't have anywhere near the expertise that Dandello has, so for me, like so many other webmasters, I'm now favoring hosts that use cPanel with the Softaculous Apps Installer. Even updates are relatively seemless, as Softaculous does that for you. After an update is made by the software, webmasters only need to delete one folder as instructed.

For anybody who doesn't already know, it should be noted that both SMF, and phpBB have many team members, and developers. It's organizational structure is such that both are most likely to remain active in their development cycles.

A few years ago, as a test, I moved one of my domains to another host, and onto a shared server. I was impressed with that operation. I realized that I don't actually need a dedicated server to host, and operate the domains I have. Even with the amount of traffic that my most popular domain gets, a shared server will work perfectly fine. I know that now because the domain I tested on the shared server gets a lot of traffic as well given that I made it a sister site of my most popular domain.

In any case, if the YaBB forum I operate ends up failing, or the errors become too numerous, I'll likely switch to a phpBB forum. If I end up doing that, I'll likely stop using a dedicated server; at least for a while unless, or until a dedicated server is warranted.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn reddit Twitter Yahoo