Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic Where we are on 2.7.0 (Read 5078 times)

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dandello
Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Mood: Annoyed
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Where we are on 2.7.0
Oct 14th, 2016 at 2:46pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
I was hoping to have a strict alpha posted to the SourceForge SVN today (Oct 14th, 2016 at 2:26pm) but I swear every time I test a section I don't normally use something glitches up.

The problem is: YaBB's base code is old. It's the poster child for legacy code.

YaBB was written before Perl really got security aware and before most of the ideas concerning localizing variables and testing for whether or not variables have explicitly established values got a foothold (or were even invented in some cases). All of YaBB's variables were originally what is now called 'global' -  a global variable is (for the most part) inherited by whatever function calls that variable, no matter where that function is called or resides.

The strict pragma requires that all variables be declared as either 'my' or 'our'. And sometimes it's hard to tell if a variable should be an 'our' or a 'my'. (There's also a 'local' but that's not good according to Damien Conway.) And then there's the variables that, even though they've been declared to be 'our', don't want to be exported from where they are.  Smiley

And then there's the overly complicated functions (sub routines). Research has been done that indicates a sub routine should not be overly complicated (having too many if/else statements and internal code blocks) - an overly complicated routine is not easily testable AND easily broken and may actually take longer to process than simpler code using easily testable chunks or sub routines. (The display sub routine comes in at a whopping complexity score of 510. 20 is considered 'good'.)

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Re: Where we are on 2.7.0
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 11:55pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Well, we're still at the phase of everytime I test a function I don't normally use, I find a glitch - today it was 'away' - that one where if it's set it sends 1 email that the person is away... Only there is actually bug in it that dates back to at least 2.5AE where it wasn't counted as a PM and so created -1 new PMs when read.  Smiley

And MailMembers works - but never sent back the proper sort and reverse info.

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 12:58pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
We are still testing 2.7. Now we're into the conversion utilities using data from some 'big' boards that have also been upgraded many times. (Amazing what glitches slip in over time when there are thousands of members and hundreds of thousand posts.)

New changes to 2.7 - checking that board names are unique when tested lowercase. Having board names that rely on case sensitivity can cause data loss when the forum is moved to a case insensitive OS (like most Windows installs).

IP Logged

Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 3:06pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Still working on cleaning up code and taking care of glitches - getting closer (I hope). Taking care of overly long if/else chains - very confusing and easily broken. Some issues with the /me UBBC code as well as the Calendar 'marquee' rollup.

Some of the issues with the /me UBBC tag dates back before 2.5AE and I never saw a bug report on it, so this is either one that the bug report was removed from YaBBForum or the tag is so little used that nobody noticed the problems to report them.

Pyragony is spending a lot of time and effort getting the German translations to make sense in proper German.  Smiley  He's also doing a lot of bug reporting.  Smiley

I like bug reports - it means I get to squash more bugs.  :Smiley

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Derek Bullock

I Love YaBB!

Mood: Frustrated
Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 3:34am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
It sure is looking good.  Looking forward to updating my forum when this is ready.

IP Logged

Forum Administrator

I love YaBB 2.7!

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 2:34pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
I'm finding more weirdness - variables that are declared (some even have values) but never used anywhere. I've found whole blocks of code like that - thousand character strings stuck in a variable only the variable is never called for anywhere at all.

I think that many of these actually date to before the introduction of YaBBC.pl as the values stored in these unused variables (language references and javascript) are used in YaBBC.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn reddit Twitter Yahoo
Where we are on 2.7.0

Please type the characters exactly as they appear in the image,
without the first 2 and last 2 characters.
The characters must be typed in the same order,
and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Off Topic Comment Insert Spoiler
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 5000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: %
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry