Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic Net Neutrality (Read 2534 times)

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Awards: 1
Who Knows
Mood: Blessed
Zodiac sign: Aries
Net Neutrality
Mar 1st, 2015 at 10:47pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Dandello wrote on Mar 1st, 2015 at 8:33pm:
Knowingly taking this off-topic ... ISP may be working on a way to counter Net Neutrality ...

That's a very interesting observation that of course wouldn't be specific to YaBB's forum if that's actually what's going on. ISPs are notoriously known for doing whatever it takes to generate extra income beyond what they claim to provide for the cost of a regular account whether it's business or residential.

Whenever I can, I prefer to work out of my home office, which means there have always been business lines installed wherever I've lived. I'm reminded of the time when I first realized the difference in cost when it comes to various phone lines in the same place, and yet, designated for different uses.

For instance, my business lines at the time cost me 7 cents a minute for local calls while the cost of local calls on my residential line was included with the base rate. As such, when my phone bill after installing a couple of business lines ended up being a few hundred dollars for local calls, I quickly learned to make outgoing calls on my residential phone line.

That's when I also chose to have my answering machine take calls from my business lines instead of picking up the phone. I'd monitor the incoming calls, and make callbacks using my residential line. Or better yet when I was involved in an ongoing production, I'd simply have my business lines forward to a number at whatever studio or office I was working in at any given time (to be answered by a secretary who was usually paid by another company). It's kind of silly to count pennies that way, but the savings amounted to many thousands of dollars over the years.

I also remember while producing and/or being involved in road shows how we took advantage of what was called a WATS line (Wide Area Telephone Service). Because areas outside of our local office had so many different phone numbers (before the days of cell phones), we pretty much always paid for an outbound WATS versus an inbound WATS. But depending on what kind of work I was involved in, sometimes we had both.

So in practice with an incoming only WATS line when calls were made to the production office, those calls were made as collect calls to a "Mr. Green" as we usually used for a name. Those collect calls were of course never accepted. In turn, the calling number was left with the production office by the operator, and that number was promptly called back using the WATS line.

A standard reply to the operator placing a collect call would be, "I'm sorry, but Mr. Green isn't in. May we take a call back number please?" So instead of many thousands of dollars a month in a phone bill, there would be a flat rate of $1,000 for the WATS line (or something close to that as I recall).

Things have certainly changed since then. Now we can piggyback our phone service to our ISP for what amounts to free local and long distance calling (with a flat rate of course). We can also use cell phones with a flat rate for so-called unlimited calling, and data use (although nothing is really unlimited if you use too much because of fine print caps). We can even do away with most of the flat rate fees of phone service by using companies like Magic Jack (or at least having a lower number of phone lines that are associated with one's ISP).

Now what was the topic that Dandello mentioned again? Oh yeah! Net Neutrality. Do not get me started. Oops! Too late!

Note: This topic has been posted for your amusement, so please take it in stride. Cheesy

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dandello
Forum Administrator
YaBB Modder

I love YaBB 2.7!

Mood: Annoyed
Zodiac sign: Virgo
Re: Net Neutrality
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2015 at 11:29pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
I don't know that CableTown and its relatives are doing anything of this nature, but based on their history, I'm sure some bright soul has made the suggestion to them. It IS known that they've assigned IP addresses (and continue to do so) to customers even when they know for a fact that the addresses are within blacklisted blocks within their own system. So it's only a short step to charging more for clean IPs.

I also know that my own ISP charges businesses about double what they charge residential customers - based on the supposed fact that businesses use more band-width (Credit card machines take up more bandwidth than a household with a couple 24/7 gamers and Netflix?  Shocked)

Perfection is not possible. Excellence, however, is excellent.
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Monni
Language

Min izāmō

Mood: Frustrated
Zodiac sign: Pisces
Re: Net Neutrality
Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 1:24am
Mark & QuoteQuote  
My current ISP charges over double what the alternative ISP charges (20 EUR vs. 7 EUR), but current ISP also gives free router and set top box so I can watch TV channels not available on cable television. IP of the current ISP's proxy server is blacklisted on many sites, but I don't have to use the proxy server until I hit the unspecified traffic cap.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn reddit Twitter Yahoo
Net Neutrality

Please type the characters exactly as they appear in the image,
without the first 2 and last 2 characters.
The characters must be typed in the same order,
and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Off Topic Comment Insert Spoiler
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 5000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: %
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry