Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Normal Topic New Policies (Read 1686 times)

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Myers
Tester

Using YaBB since 2002

Awards: 1
Who Knows
Mood: Blessed
Zodiac sign: Aries
New Policies
Oct 5th, 2014 at 6:17pm
Mark & QuoteQuote  
Quote:

I am very disappointed to learn about this, and yet at the same time I understand it. Still, it does beg the question, why is this Talk it Up section to "Talk about almost anything" here?

Obviously, the key words here are "almost anything" when it comes down to it. Perhaps those key words should actually read, "anything the owner of this forum allows" to be more honest about it.

As for freedom of speech, that's not really the issue when it comes to an open source project. The issue is whether or not the exchange of ideas can be freely discussed, which of course intuitively includes discussions concerning management policies, staff, or members of YaBB's official forum.

This kind or privatization has always been the bane of YaBB's growth, which is arguably the main reason YaBB ended up failing in terms of maintaining its number one position as forum software. It's a shame, too, because YaBB would otherwise have so much more potential. As it is now, and as it seems this will also be its future, YaBB's development, and support is an endeavor of only a handful of people who don't seem to fully understand, or appreciate what an open source project should be, and how it should be honored. YaBB has become a very private endeavor.

Obviously, time will tell if my voice will be silenced as it has been for so many others who've previously participated in YaBB's official forum, and are now gone.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
ReplyAdd Poll Send Topic
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn reddit Twitter Yahoo
New Policies

Please type the characters exactly as they appear in the image,
without the first 2 and last 2 characters.
The characters must be typed in the same order,
and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Off Topic Comment Insert Spoiler
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 5000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: %
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry